GBCA Single Handed/Mixed Doubles Regatta

Started by Jim Powers, July 29, 2009, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

Every year I do this @#@$ing singlehanded race, have a near heat stroke, scare the poo out of myself and then swear to the sailing gods: NEVER AGAIN, N-E-V-E-R!!!  
Last year I nearly passed out at the dock...and it wasn't from winning the party.
There's a picture Mary took...I'm 15 shades of red and look ill. I'm laying on the dock, which is 200 degress and burning my back, but I don't care. It took 2 days to cool down. I remember, oh yes, I remember.

Anyway, fast forward a year...
I tried to ignore this regatta. Really.
Then yesterday I said "Why not mixed doubles? That's always fun!"...and so I signed up.  

Today I sit in a cube farm in the comfort of A/C, listening to some yacht rock, when the gears start turning, fueled by too much coffee this morning.
Well, let's just check the web...a couple more boats have signed up. Jones is coming from Austin. Cool.

I don't want to miss the fun.  You only live once.
Oh, why not? I'll register for the singlehanded again....

Then the moment of truth...the evil check box on regatta networks comes up...
Spinnaker or non-spinnaker...

I hesitate, I trimble, my organs wince, enter the 1,000 yard stare, and the voice in my head:  
"Really now" says the brain..."let's be reasonable...you almost cooked your noodle last year.  Don't click spin...just don't do it.  You won't go faster, you'll probably lose, and you'll just sweat alot more."  

Then the other side of brain fires up:
"Ah man, how bad can it be... I mean, it was bad last year, but this boat is more stable and set up for it".  

The other side of brain responds, in a slightly deadpan tone:
"True. It's set to fly if you run that halyard back, get better bungee...but it's still 27 feet of boat, fool. Oh, and don't forget people will be watching when you screw up the set, but they won't notice if you're far enough back in the fleet...just swallow your pride, don't hit the committee boat, drink a little more water and a maybe less beer..."

Then the other side of brain chimes in in a most sarcastic tone:
"Yeah smart guy, more water, that's what you said to yourself and half the Classic Cafe last night, that's why I feel a little like scuz today, you dolt...you never listen to me..."

Other side of brain, responding sharply: "Fine, stop being rational. Just for that, I'll fix your wagon."

Then uncontrolable impulse, mouse moves....

Spinnaker. Confirm. *click*

I'm getting butterflys. I suddenly feel thirsty, smell sunscreen and spilled beer. Did I just break into a sweat....?
How is that possible? It's 57 degress in this stupid building...

*Snap-to!*
What? What happened?? What's going on here??

Damn-it! I've done it again.
Racing singlehanded spinnaker?!  
Why? Why? Why?

:P
Past Commodore, 2010

JayZ

LMFAO.  Chris that is your best post ever.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

sailorjohnny

Chris, that was great! I wonder how many have thought the same thing. I did it on my boat last year Nd decided to spectate this year because of it. Good luck to all you brave souls and I'll be watching from under the bimini.

Jonsey

Ya dude..  i've been watching sailflow..  for about 12 hours caught +15 on Sat.   Not sure if they did that to test me or what, but we're back to something reasonable.

Kevin Box

Boy, when those right and left hemispheres start a feud, you?re in for it.  We?ll have some power food and pain medication set up at the GBCA lounge/triage facility after Saturday?s race so the single-handers can stoke up for Sunday.

Good luck to all!

Kevin Bednar

Ok, so I just signed Stinky up for the Single Hand and the Mixed Doubles.  It wants to bill me $40/race because I'm late.  That's fine, but shouldn't that be $35 since I signed up for both?  How do I fix that?

Jim Powers

Quote from: board on August 13, 2009, 09:25:00 PM
Ok, so I just signed Stinky up for the Single Hand and the Mixed Doubles.  It wants to bill me $40/race because I'm late.  That's fine, but shouldn't that be $35 since I signed up for both?  How do I fix that?
the fee for each regatta is $35, but if you do both you get a $5 discount for each, for a total of $60 for both days. But the late fee is $5, so you total should be $65. Bring a check for $25 to the meeting and we will be square.
while we Are on the subject, everyone who entered both regattas before the late fee kicked in should have paid a total of $60. all of you paid $70 because of the way RN is set up. i know who you are, and each of you will get a $10 refund to your credit card.

ChrisK

I forgive you. Make mine a donation.
I'll just spend it on booze and women anyway
;D

Past Commodore, 2010

Sailchick

Thank God Kevin picked Non-Spin this year.  I'm with Beverly, we're putting the "C" back in GBCA.

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

jayhefty

Chris- very Hemingwayesque writing, now all you need is a mojito and a six toed cat. ;D

ChrisA

I hope there's plenty of pain medication this evening. We need courage ahead of time.

Charles

Quote from: ChrisA on August 14, 2009, 08:55:57 AM
I hope there's plenty of pain medication this evening. We need courage ahead of time.

Kinda like pre-hydrating!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les