J/Boat owners and Boats needed for 2011 J/Fest!

Started by BoomerangJ, October 23, 2011, 01:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Charles

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

bshores

Scott, point well taken, and it's frustrating to all of us to see some owners choose to sit on the sidelines.  For the record I have sailed on j-boats my entire life, I got nothing against them.  I think the point is that we'd like to see the regatta reach it's full potential, and just trying to be creative about ways to expand.  The HYC one design was a hit, and we are enthusiastic about keeping the momentum going.

hayesrigging

The HYC one design excluded boats from racing!!  Didn't see the two Melges 32s, two 1d35's, king 40 or J-122 invited out there!!  Let along the two j120's.  That would make a great phrf A class. 

I love the J Fest idea. Any time we can get a top notch sponsor like J Boats SW to sponsor an event that is a positive thing in my opinion.  I also agree the one design concept is a great event as well, but it did exclude a lot of potential race boats from participating. 

Kevin hayes

bshores

Good point Kevin, and with the exception of the LYC Shoe Race I can't think of another regatta that is open to all classes for bouy racing.  It would be nice to get that PHRF A class together on a regular basis.  Which also brings up the question, how can we continue to grow the racing scene on Galveston Bay?  Look at what Charleston Race Week has become over the last 10 years, there's no reason why we can't do the same.

Jonsey

I?m all about getting more boat?s on the water? vipers, j22?s, C22?s, whatever!  Getting people excited about sailing again, in general.   I think that happens when someone shows?s up at a regatta and a) there is some good sailing b) on-shore activities are off-the-hook!   (ie, big party)

In our range of boats (viper-type) we have a few guys building I550s?, a few U20?s, M24 and soon perhaps some J70?s.    We have, in the past made room on our starting line for those guys.  Even though the vipers had enough boats to carve out an OD fleet we adopted them in an overall mixed fleet.  We awarded an overall and then a secondary award for any respective OD fleets within that group. 

We just want to see those boats out on the water.   If they have an opportunity to race against like-designs their going to have a better time as opposed to getting stuck in with some orphan J109 or J105?s.

I don?t agree with HYC about excluding PHRF fleets, and I?ve made that opinion known.    That was a good event but would have been MUCH better if we would have added 50 PHRF boats!

That pretty much describes my philosophy?.  Lots of boats on the line, and lots of people at the party! 
Jfest goes the other direction.  It says ?here?s a great event but if you don?t have a Jboat, you?re not invited to play?  So Bee would you advocate having a rondarfest, melgesfest, benetaufest, catalinafest?   

Earlier you said that the purpose of this regatta was to help support local jfleets.  I say that is absolute crap.. it?s 100% about building their brand and selling boats.   If Jboat?s was that concerned about keeping fleets strong why would they introduce a new model ever 6 months? that fractures and existing fleet.  If you don?t think the J70 is going to affect the J80 fleet?  hold on to your hat.  J105, J109, J120, J122, J111 (did I miss any?)     Come on Bee.. you cant bee that dense and Scott doest have that good of a game-face.

As for whining because we cant attend?  not the case at all.  I?ve had plenty of offers but I feel strongly enough that this is the wrong thing to do for our sport that I?m going nowhere near it.     I?m vocal about it but I promise that?s a pretty popular opinion down on Galveston Bay.

Our next event will be Wurstfest.   It?s open to everyone, and it?s a damn good time.   I hope to see a hundred Jboat?s down there?.  Just don?t get my camping spot!

It sounds like Jboat?s is going to abandon the idea after this year.  I?d like to make a challenge to them, along with all the other boat dealers including Rondar, Melges and Bennett Yachting Tech (the three I follow).   Let?s get together with the major clubs on the bay and put together an event that will blow people?s minds!

Bee

I doubt J-Boats is going to stop doing this.  Its to their advantage in every way.

As I said earlier, get Rondar Raceboats to step up to he plate and host one for everyone.  In fact, get any other manufacturer to do the same.  How about Beneteau? Catalina? Schock? (do they still exist), Melges?  Now that would be a hoot.  I can see the Melges folk hosting one of these for everyone ----- NOT.  Actually, I can't see the Melges folk hosting anything like this for their own boats.

I agree with Kevin.  J-Fest is great for the sport and great for all of us J-Boat owners.  Just because you don't own one and just because you, like SA, think its cool to bash 'em does not mean they are bad boats or a bad company.

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: bshores on October 25, 2011, 07:59:05 AM
Good point Kevin, and with the exception of the LYC Shoe Race I can't think of another regatta that is open to all classes for bouy racing. 
BBVA Performance Cup? GBCA Frostbite? Leukemia Cup? Elissa?
Where were you idea guys for these?

Kudos to JBoats Southwest and LYC for having the idea and actually putting it into action.
2013 Commodore

Jonsey

I"m not bashin'm bee.  I didn't say an ill word about a jboat and in fact over the past ten years i've owned (2) J22's and a J80.      

Myself and another viper owner have been talking about picking up a 22 to do some circuit racing.   I cant convince Lambert to sell 307 back to me ;-)

Rondar's a very small company, they wouldn't have the means to support a large regatta.  I wouldn't ask that of anyone.  I do think that if these folks combined resources we could have really big, fun event.    

Jboat's is a fanstastic company, and they build nice boats.  

Bee before this last post, i was giving you a bit of rope but that's done.     I think you've completly missed my point, so best to you - good luck this weekend.  

Jonsey

I've been here.   Ask around..   i made phone calls and hassled our fleet to support every event that didn't conflict with something else we had on our schedule.

Ask Jody Henry what i've done to help get boats out on galveston bay..

Quote from: ShakenNotStirred on October 25, 2011, 09:34:22 AM
Quote from: bshores on October 25, 2011, 07:59:05 AM
Good point Kevin, and with the exception of the LYC Shoe Race I can't think of another regatta that is open to all classes for bouy racing. 
BBVA Performance Cup? GBCA Frostbite? Leukemia Cup? Elissa?
Where were you idea guys for these?

Kudos to JBoats Southwest and LYC for having the idea and actually putting it into action.

BoomerangJ

Jeff-No one doubts that you are a spark plug-albeit more for your own interests-that is too transparent.  As far as not bashing and I quote you:

"As for whining because we cant attend?  not the case at all.  I?ve had plenty of offers but I feel strongly enough that this is the wrong thing to do for our sport that I?m going nowhere near it.     I?m vocal about it but I promise that?s a pretty popular opinion down on Galveston Bay."

I'm sure your vocalizing it has accomplished your mission and hurt the event. 

Last I counted there were 52 weekends in the calendar.  Quit talking and making phone calls and step up!  Walk the walk big boy!

BoomerangJ

For those that may not be aware-J/Fests originated over 25 years ago.  They were held at Annapolis, Newport, San Diego, San Francisco, and New Orleans.  This is not new.  Previous dealer reps in this area had tried for years to host an event under the J/Fest banner-all to no avail.  A couple of years ago a few J/Boat owners got with me and asked about replicating this event in Houston and J/Boats agreed.  There is nothing more to it then that.  Why would I not support the owners efforts to put this together?  And as I said in an earlier post there are plenty of weekends for others to use for an event they want to architect, sponsor, and run. And if JBoat owners were not to be invited I'm pretty sure none of us would come over and defacate in somebody elses's sandbox.  So congratulations Jeff Jones for stirring it up-you can be proud!  You've done a great job.  For a guy that has had a Lindenbergh, 505, J/22, J/22, Viper 830, Viper 640, J/80, Wavelength 24, Laser, a couple of Vipers, all in the last ten years, and now has a VX on order I'm sure it would be hard for you to commit to hosting a multi-year regatta that supports any one design.  Just so you know it takes a lot of commitment and effort by a lot of folks that don't appreciate the bashing of their efforts for no real good reason.

J/Fest will live on and I'm sure we will make it bigger and better every year!  I'm looking forward to it.  And for the record, once again, J/Boats Southwest spent tens of thousands of dollars to support the following regatta's:  J/24 Austin Circuit stop, J/24 Nationals-DCYC, 'Ol Man of the Sea Regatta-FWBC, Dillon Open-Colorado, ISSA High School Nationals, and several others I can't recall at the moment. 

Do I think having a big regatta on the Bay would be fun?  Absolutely!  I've talked about that to people that will and can actually do something about it.  I've had several discussions with posters in this thread.  Everyone knows how I feel about the bay. It could be bigger then Charleston-but it would take a full on collaboration amongst all of the clubs, Seabrook shipyard, etc.  I don't think it makes any sense to try an morph J/Fest into that event.  I think it is a different event that could be held in the spring.  It certainly doesn't make sense for people to bash an event that with over 40 boats registered is a good fun event.  I remain open to ideas and will put my check book and my effort into making the sport better for all.  (As long as it's in a J/Boat!!  KIDDING!  KIDDING!-simmer down!)

Bee

I totally agree Jeff.  No point in continuing this discussion.

Bee

Up to 42 boats.  Can we get a couple more?  Gotta be at least 3 out there.

Jonsey

Sorry bee - one last post and then i'm dust-

Scott's right, i'm absolutly transparent but... 

Perhaps i didn't illustrate my point very well.   No intent to bash the regatta, anyone or any brand of boat.   As scott mentions, i've had and enjoyed a lot of em'.   In hindsite, putting this on the forum was a mistake.    Bee - i'd love the opportunity to swap some idea's in November assuming you and Charles will be at wurstfest again.

So fair weather, and good sailing this weekend.   And if, in the future it happens that you want to turn this into a larger event I would certainly be all over helping the effort.

Quote from: BoomerangJ on October 25, 2011, 10:36:41 AM
For those that may not be aware-J/Fests originated over 25 years ago.  They were held at Annapolis, Newport, San Diego, San Francisco, and New Orleans.  This is not new.  Previous dealer reps in this area had tried for years to host an event under the J/Fest banner-all to no avail.  A couple of years ago a few J/Boat owners got with me and asked about replicating this event in Houston and J/Boats agreed.  There is nothing more to it then that.  Why would I not support the owners efforts to put this together?  And as I said in an earlier post there are plenty of weekends for others to use for an event they want to architect, sponsor, and run. And if JBoat owners were not to be invited I'm pretty sure none of us would come over and defacate in somebody elses's sandbox.  So congratulations Jeff Jones for stirring it up-you can be proud!  You've done a great job.  For a guy that has had a Lindenbergh, 505, J/22, J/22, Viper 830, Viper 640, J/80, Wavelength 24, Laser, a couple of Vipers, all in the last ten years, and now has a VX on order I'm sure it would be hard for you to commit to hosting a multi-year regatta that supports any one design.  Just so you know it takes a lot of commitment and effort by a lot of folks that don't appreciate the bashing of their efforts for no real good reason.

J/Fest will live on and I'm sure we will make it bigger and better every year!  I'm looking forward to it.  And for the record, once again, J/Boats Southwest spent tens of thousands of dollars to support the following regatta's:  J/24 Austin Circuit stop, J/24 Nationals-DCYC, 'Ol Man of the Sea Regatta-FWBC, Dillon Open-Colorado, ISSA High School Nationals, and several others I can't recall at the moment. 

Do I think having a big regatta on the Bay would be fun?  Absolutely!  I've talked about that to people that will and can actually do something about it.  I've had several discussions with posters in this thread.  Everyone knows how I feel about the bay. It could be bigger then Charleston-but it would take a full on collaboration amongst all of the clubs, Seabrook shipyard, etc.  I don't think it makes any sense to try an morph J/Fest into that event.  I think it is a different event that could be held in the spring.  It certainly doesn't make sense for people to bash an event that with over 40 boats registered is a good fun event.  I remain open to ideas and will put my check book and my effort into making the sport better for all.  (As long as it's in a J/Boat!!  KIDDING!  KIDDING!-simmer down!)