Blast from the past, GBCA event poster 1994

Started by ChrisK, October 31, 2011, 08:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Stumbled upon this old GBCA event poster from 1994 in a bathroom.
Gotta love Stouts artwork.
To this day, I still hear great things about this regatta.

I can't figure out the C/C part...is that C&C sailmakers? or maybe Cruising Canvas?

I think it would be cool to make this part of it one of the Icicles series (a themed regatta, similar to Judge Smails) for 2012?
It's certainly chili weather and I know we have some foodies out there

If you have any old event posters, post 'em!

Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

I don't know if C&C Sailmakers had anything to do with this, but I know Ed has a bucket load of old posters from back in the day and he is a great source of information.  He might know quite a bit about all this.

Ping him at

info at ccsailmakers dot com

BoomerangJ

That poster and concept is awesome!  Combined chilli cook-off scored with the sailing results!  Love it as a fun race.  Love the no experience necessary.

Post more of these if you can find them. 

Brad

We won that regatta with Champagne Everyday (Tartan 37).  I still have the trophy which was a burgee I think.  The crew framed it and added pictures.  This was a series of combination cook offs (on Saturday) and racing (on Sunday) - chili, gumbo etc - to encourage new people into racing.   Some people worked hard on the cooking others just used a can of whatever. Sailing was also very fun.   Worked for our family!

I think the C/C was Cruising Canvas.

All a concept originated by GBCA to encourage more racing on the Bay.

Brad

Kevin Box

I've heard more than one GBCA veteran talk about fond memories of that regatta.

Brad

It was actually two regattas - one in the Spring and one in the Fall.  Chili Regatta and Gumbo Regatta.  Great times and wonderful way to get cruisers racing.

STuma

I think the C/C was the original Cruising Canvas group.
cheers...
Scott