GBCA: Stories Behind The Silver

Started by ChrisK, November 27, 2011, 03:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Added a new page called "Stories Behind The Silver" to the GBCA website that you history buffs might be interested in:
http://gbca.memberlodge.org/StoriesBehindTheSilver

The page is mostly a compilation of the old annual handbooks from 1958 to 1994 and TORC handbooks dating back to 1963.

I believe the original "Stories Behind The Silver" was written and researched by longtime GBCA historian Pokie Stamper.
Many of you might remember Pokie as one of the guest speakers at the 60th Anniversary GBCA Commodores Ball in 2007.
I added some of my own research, detective work and trophy pictures in an effort to digitally document some of GBCA's unique history

I hope to eventually add history placards to all of the GBCA trophies in the trophy case, as well as giving all the trophies the "white glove" polish they deserve

Of course, the research and photos are not complete in many areas (Roger Stone, Marion Hayes, listing the winners, etc) but it's a start to documenting GBCA's long and colorful 64 year history.

The project was quite alot of fun to work on and finally able to tie together some of the old race stories we've heard so much about over the years.

If you have anything to add, please let me know!
Past Commodore, 2010

B Sailing/Alan Bates

fantastic page bringing the GBCA history alive to us newbies....thanks Chris!
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.