2011 HYC Turkey Day

Started by Bee, November 02, 2011, 10:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshores

My comment on the $80 entry was directed at the lack of any social/shoreside activities.  I agree in retrospec it's not that expensive for a regatta, but the NOR didn't mention anything included.  It seems lately that the fleets put on their own social activities in the parking lot and avoid the clubhouse altogther aka the viper car bar.

Jonsey

That's "VIPER BAR" shores!   Have to give credit to Mary M for the idea, i think she invented the car-bar.  Not sure if we adopted it because it made "socializing" more convienent or because most bars wont allow the guys from corpus in.

by the way, a viper with single trap and no lead is very fast in 25 knot's of breeze ;-)

bshores

A viper WITH lead is fast in 25 knts, one without is just scary.  I guess when you turtle one in 35 knts and have to be rescued nothing really seems that intimidating anymore.  Here's hoping we can end the year with another solid viper w/lead turnout.  Jeff, do your cheerleader thing and get the troops fired up about this one at Wurstfest.

MaryM

I didin't invent the car bar, I just brought it up another notch!!

If you drink from the car bar consider yourself a trunk drunk (credit to JoAnn Korleski)!

ChrisK

No football excuses this week  ::)  The Texans are resting up for the Super Bowl.
Come out and win yo-self a bird. Last race of the year until the HYC Revognah...

Who's racing:
http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=4661&custom_report_id=2

Bee, on a sidenote, I see a new? J105 in town: 'Killer Rabbit'...
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Yup.  The old Geronimo.  Purchased by Mark Young.  Brings us up to nine local boats here on the Bay.  Vic is now class president and still belongs to the local Fleet.  Including him we have 10 boats in Fleet 17 and should become a voting member of the national organization again in 2012.

I'm hoping we will see 6-7 boats on the line most of the rest of the year.

JayZ

Quote from: ChrisK on November 17, 2011, 08:07:16 AM
No football excuses this week  ::)  The Texans are resting up for the Super Bowl.
Come out and win yo-self a bird. Last race of the year until the HYC Revognah...

Who's racing:
http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=4661&custom_report_id=2

Bee, on a sidenote, I see a new? J105 in town: 'Killer Rabbit'...

....Tell at least two of my regulars that sitting around on a weekend watching football is no excuse for not being outside on the water! 
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

ChrisK

Enjoyed the PHRF Spin distance pursuit course..a slightly more condensed version of the Rum Races.
Great for crew development, navigation...plenty of wind (but not too crazy)
There should have been many more boats out there! 
Not quite in the Turkey this year but that was fun...

Next HYC race is Revognah..on New Years Day
What's a Revognah you ask? That's hangover spelled backwards!
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

OD line was also fun Liston and company did a nice job of seting up and maintaining a pretty square course.

Great wind, cool temps, and lots of beer.  What could be better?

sailfastliveslow

What could be better?  Two items come to mind:

1.  Party Saturday night (road warriors aren't gonna wait around till 5pm Sunday)
2.  More competitors

Thanks to HYC and GBCA for a great year of regattas!

Bee

Yeah, I was surprised by the small number of competitors.  The worst part was the PHRF fleet.  Where have all the big PHRF spin classes gone?

Jonsey

I think a lot of the big PHRF boat's are off-put by the way HYC splits sym and asym boat's.  At least thats my feeling.

Maybe we'll see big-boat programs come back when the economy get's sorted.

As far as attendance at this one - i think the J22's and 24's had a conflicting event.  Vipers hit wurstfest the prior weekend which took me out.    Still a decent show for the local Viper fleet and J105's. 

I'll be ready for the HYC midwinters and then a big Mardi Gras Race Week in Feb 2012, a little off-subject but i think it's going to be good one.