NOOD - Big Boats???

Started by Big John, July 31, 2009, 11:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Box

The ?From the Commodore? section of the August Cannon contains this very same subject matter.  It?s ironic, since I wrote it three weeks ago when visited by that particular muse.  I decided to practice what I was preaching and crewed on a new boat for the rum race last weekend.

We tuned-up a little before the race and adjusted car leads and genoa luff tension.  I brought my Cunningham and we set that up.  We had a good start and had a respectable mid-fleet finish.  I forgot at least half the points I wanted to emphasize along the way.  Afterward, the skipper asked if we should?ve let off the Cunningham on the second leg (run).  Doh!  Everybody learned (or re-learned) something.  I highly recommend it.

All the while Big John is shaking his head: ?Man, I was just trying to get a couple of level 70 boats to sign-up for the NOOD??

Evan

This thread has gone waaaay off course. To get back to trying to get as many L70s out for the NOOD as possible, how many are there here? I know Mille, Leading Edge, Parrot Tales, Hydrodyne, Rowdy (still around?), and a couple sprit boats here and there (Painkiller and Goldrush) that might squeek in. Are there more L70s lurking in the marinas that need to be woken up? How about out of town? September is right around the corner and the entries of late are really lacking...time to get on it!

STuma

"BJSailor"... I have no problem with coming out... I think we might have to implement another day for training... the problem I have been told about, and tapped into professionally, is to teach people on their own boats... anyone can take sailing lessons and seminars, but it is different when we step on their boat, with their crew, and give some pointers... Maybe have a start or two at the end where the coaches cannot touch the tiller or any lines?  In racing Blind Worlds, you learn that you have to communicate and teach what you want; you cannot touch anything (as a sighted sailor)...  I know we have a lot of talent out here that is willing to help out... I am throwing out ideas, not saying I have all the answers or the details, but our fleet is shrinking...

Evan, you are repeating John's point and frustration... the boats are there, but not sailing... the point I tried to bring out is that boats like "Painkiller", "Gold Rush", and the other sprit boats, is that they are not allowed in L70 (I might be wrong on the current rules; yes/no?)... Maybe the race committee can disregard the L70 rule and form a 70 class that will include ratings of 70-79... sprit or sym... It takes a lot of work and the 70 guys need to make phone calls and get the others fired up... "Rowdy" is still around and sailing the TRIF and Icicle Races (I've been doing some sailing with Bill and crew)...

Kuddos Kevin... I think we should use the TGIF's to get some people up-to-pace... I have started bringing my kids out on these...
cheers...
Scott