Sailing Help - Bubbas Shrimp Palace

Started by Neptune, November 25, 2011, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neptune

Rather new to sailing and to GBCA so please excuse my asking, but can anyone give me tips on sailing into San Leon to eat at Bubbas? I draw 4 1/2 feet and will be sailing in from Kemah.

Thanks for any assistance.

Charles

Quote from: Neptune on November 25, 2011, 02:20:24 PM
Rather new to sailing and to GBCA so please excuse my asking, but can anyone give me tips on sailing into San Leon to eat at Bubbas? I draw 4 1/2 feet and will be sailing in from Kemah.

Thanks for any assistance.

According to the chart, you would be sailing into 2 ft of water at mean low low water level, so with a 4 1/2 draft, I wouldn't try it unless it is a retractable keel.  Let us know if you do try it, cause I eat at Bubba's and that would make for a nice day sail.
Charles
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Neptune

I know...I see there is a marina nearby and thought there ought to be some channel there somewhere. It would also be nice to get down to the Topwater Grill, but it looks like that won't be possible, either.

BJSailor

2ft is almost enough water for a RIB with a 3hp outboard.  Make sure it's got a kick-up mount:-)

I haven't heard of anyone in a sailboat who does anything but anchor out and take a RIB to the dock. 

You know, there's a money maker for Topwater and Bubbas...  I've seen and heard of countless restaraunts / bars that provide dinghy service to/from the moorings.  Wouldn't it be nice if you could call Bubba's on Channel 16 and have a water taxi waiting for you once you anchor?
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Neptune

Are there any restaurants that I could sail to that are within 3-4 hours of Kemah?

Charles

If you got a chart, I think you could sail to Topwater Grill.  You might have to go down the ship channel and then cut back up the channel to Dickinson Bayou.  Looks do-able.  As far as anything else, it would be all the way down to Galveston, as far as I know.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

This is one of the hazards of Galveston Bay.  Shallow water near shore (lot's of crab and mud) and no channels to get close.  I can just see us taking Stinger (6.5' draft) in there.  Would have to have a couple of 300hp outboards to get us off.

Took a 5 foot draft out of Hellman's once.  Drug several times but go the boat back in her slip.

Grind4Beer

Pre-Ike, we sailed Holdaway's J24 in that marina near Bubba's with no problems, but didn't lighten the beer-buckets enough to make up for a stiff northerly dropping the water level. I don't recall when or how he got the boat back. It looks a couple of feet silted in since then. No-go for now,unless you've got a dinghy.

The folks at Topwater said that some big trawlers stop in there, but didn't know the depth. I'd try it sometime, if the wind was right to keep off the gnarly finger piers. Definitely go the long way around Redfish to get there.

Check here, though I don't know how often it's updated:
http://remedyandcrew.com/Destinations/destinations.html

G4B

Eric713

There are 2 restaurants in Double Bayou.  The trip takes about 3.5-4 hrs.  One is called Marker 17 and the other is The Hurricane.  There is a marked channel which averages 6-9 feet in depth.  There is also a marina with 16 slips available at 25 bucks per night which provides 30 and 50 amp shore power.  The hotel, general store, pavillion and marina were all built after Hurricane Ike.  We were there 11/6-11/7 this year and had no problems.  TMCA goes there quite often and many of their boats draw over 6 ft. If you go from Clear Creek Marker 2 thru the North Boaters Cut direct Double Bayou Marker 2 its almost a straight shot. Many of us will motor further up the river and tie off to trees, set up a camp fire and spend the night as well.   

Charles

Quote from: Eric713 on November 28, 2011, 05:51:41 AM
There are 2 restaurants in Double Bayou.  The trip takes about 3.5-4 hrs.  One is called Marker 17 and the other is The Hurricane.  There is a marked channel which averages 6-9 feet in depth.  There is also a marina with 16 slips available at 25 bucks per night which provides 30 and 50 amp shore power.  The hotel, general store, pavillion and marina were all built after Hurricane Ike.  We were there 11/6-11/7 this year and had no problems.  TMCA goes there quite often and many of their boats draw over 6 ft. If you go from Clear Creek Marker 2 thru the North Boaters Cut direct Double Bayou Marker 2 its almost a straight shot. Many of us will motor further up the river and tie off to trees, set up a camp fire and spend the night as well.   

The north cut you are talking about.  Is that at marker 68 as shown on the charts?
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

MaryM

Charles - http://www.tmca.nu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:double-bayou&catid=28:destinations&Itemid=50 this is a great link to local knowledge on getting to and from (and into) Double Bayou.  When they say hug the right and stay close to the red, they are not kidding!

Eric713

You may have an old chart. The two boater cuts I've used are at HSC 61-62 (South Cut) and HSC
71-72 (North Cut).

ChrisK

As you can see from the pics, bring some kind of gang plank to depart the bow of your boat...and a change of shoes aka. your 'mud' boots
Had some good times out in Double Bayou.  
TMCA heads out there often, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you tagging along...safety in numbers...they'll send the dinghy rescue squad to pull you off the shallows (and a stiff drink), in case you miss the turn at the marker  ;)
Running aground there is almost a rite of passage...

Yes indeed a J24 full of pirates (GBCA members, I might add) made it to the former "Worlds Ugliest Yacht Club" (yes, it had a sign) in San Leon many years ago. It was "Talk like a Pirate Day" at the Buccaneer Bar and the motley crew arrived aboard via sailing vessel appropiately named Mutnious Dogs.  
Buccaner Bar was famous for its non-drunk friendly swings at the bar (swings and drunk people are never a good idea) it was also a place where they didn't mind you shooting potato cannons during Happy Hour.  I swear the REAL Mr. Bojangles was a regular there...if you bought him a beer and the right song was on the jukebox, he'd get up and dance on the bar.

RIP the Buccaneer Bar and Mutnious Dogs, both lost to Ike...
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

I have also sailed a J24 into that harbor.  I have seen several powerboats run in and out of there (Bubba's)...  TopWater has a pretty "deep" harbor.  I would monitor the tides and cold front status, maybe slowly motor in on a high/medium tide and check it out.  I would pole your way in for a reference (and of course report back here so we can try it).
cheers...
Scott