Donations for Elissa repair would be greatly appreciated!

Started by MaryM, December 07, 2011, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryM

Passing this along to all of the sailing community....

To:  all HMR skippers and sailors:
From: John Broderick, Co-founder HMR, Co-chairman 2011, Coordinator Elissa Afterguard

As you can see, I have worn several hats for the 2011 sailing of The Harvest Moon Regatta?. It has been a great year with 186 yachts entered in very good weather exercising their spinnakers to the maximum and showing their soft to light air skills to push for the best finish time they could. Congratulation to all the trophy winners!

You might remember in 2007 having ?Elissa? sail with the HMR fleet to Port A, then on to Corpus Christi for school children viewing.  Our idea is to repeat this spectacular event about every five years.  ?Elissa? is making plans to sail with HMR next year, October 25, 2012, looking stately and more ship-shape than ever.  The plan is to go into dry dock next June, July and August, coming out with a fully tested and approved bottom plating repair approved by the US Coast Guard to continue sailing on her own 134 year young iron plated bottom.   

This bottom repair alone will be more than one million dollars.  Is the effort worth it? You can judge for yourself. (See attachment) ?Elissa? is one of only three iron bottom tall ships still actively sailing the way she did as a cargo carrying commerce ship when she first called on Galveston in 1883 and again in 1886. She is the only one crewed and maintained by all volunteers.  ?Elissa? volunteers are what make her so special and able to carry on the tall ship sailing tradition.

Many generous HMR skippers and sailors pledged or donated more than $8,000 for the day sail contest for ?Elissa? repairs and I thank you very much for that.  Day sail winners: Cliff Haddox-Musica ($4,000),John LeBourhis-Caramba ($1,002),David Person-Wanita Cantik ($750). However, we have a very long way to be able to pay the dry dock charges in August so I am asking once more that you consider making a donation and ask your friends to participate in this sailing-super-star?s long life and future sailing.  Our TALL SHIP OF TEXAS needs your support.

To make your charity donation and receive a confirming charity letter go to; www.galvestonhistory.org/elissa-donate.asp to donate then check In support of HMR 2011 contest pledge.  If you will send an email to me at teetina@aol.com and let me know you made a nice donation I will put you on the list for possible day sailing on the then newly restored ?Elissa?. 

Regards and happy sailing,
John L. Broderick
John Broderick, HMR Co-Founder, HMR 2011 Co Chairman, Coordinator ?Elissa? Afterguard