Shoe Regatta - Red Caps?

Started by tprewett, March 09, 2012, 04:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tprewett

Simpletons,
Can anyone tell me about this Mount Gay Rum Hat? My friends have a few of these and boast about how they have accomplished a mighty feat for earning them.

I understand the Shoe Regatta is sponsored by Mount Gay Rum so my question is, if I sign up and race this Regatta, will I get a hat? will my Crew get a hat? do I have to place to get a hat? and, does the hat make my boat faster? are the hats made extra big to fit those who wear them?

-Travis

tprewett

That message wasnt suppose to sound like im a jerk, sorry

ChrisK

That's the funniest post I've read in a long time :-)
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

Quote from: tprewett on March 09, 2012, 04:41:03 PM
Simpletons,
Can anyone tell me about this Mount Gay Rum Hat? My friends have a few of these and boast about how they have accomplished a mighty feat for earning them.

I understand the Shoe Regatta is sponsored by Mount Gay Rum so my question is, if I sign up and race this Regatta, will I get a hat? will my Crew get a hat? do I have to place to get a hat? and, does the hat make my boat faster? are the hats made extra big to fit those who wear them?

-Travis

It all depends on how tall you are, so you can jump up and grab a hat when they throw them out at the skippers meeting.!! 'From one simpleton to another!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Christopher

Quote from: tprewett on March 09, 2012, 04:41:03 PM
Simpletons,

-Travis

Often, the skipper will receive one (maybe two) cap in their regatta packet when MG Rum sponsors the regatta.  Economic conditions maybe changing that.  Notice there are fewer regatta t-shirts to be had.  

The poor crew has to fend for themselves when going after the toss up hats at skipper meeting or awards ceremonies.

No magical powers in the hat until they become well worn and have turned pink.   8)
Mahalo nui loa

ChrisK

MG has been a long time supporter of sailboat racing at both the national and local level, since the mid 1980's 
When travelling you can easily recognize the hats at airport terminals anywhere...along with the tan, and raccoon eyes.
You know right away that that person is a seasoned sailboat racer and not one of the cruise ship crowd, especailly if it has the faded pink color.  If you strike up a conversation, you'll probably recognize what boat they're on...

Lakewood was able to land MG sponsorship after the NOOD pulled out of the Houston stop in 2008 post Ike.  It's not quite the calibur (for lack of a better word) of say...the St. Maartin Regatta, Key West Race Week or Storm Trysail Club Block Island Race hats but still a desireable hat nonetheless  ;)

Some of the original hats go for $200 on ebay, depending on vintage and locale
Past Commodore, 2010