Clear Lake Channel Entrance underwater OBSTRUCTION

Started by Big John, January 09, 2012, 10:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

I am sure most of you know about this one. We did but not how bad it is.  The old platform which supported the light at the entrance, (Clear Lake #2) is STILL THERE.  We were fighting to finish just inside the new mark and ran HARD AGROUND on the obstruction.  Should have tacked to clear it, but in the foolishness and heat of the moment we tried to finesse it.  DO NOT DO THAT.  Avoid going within ten feet of the new marker. We were at least 5 feet inside it when we stopped cold from about 5 knots.  Be alert, cause we need more lerts.  We need to get some people out with serious tools to remove  it completely or at least put out some sort of temporary buoy to mark it.
John Butler
Millennium Express.  

Eric713

WOW!  I've passed within 5 feet of the thing last year during the Rum Races and never hit anything. We draw 4ft 3in. and probably passed over it. Hope your boat didn't get damaged.

Bee

Millie is deeper then Stinger and Stinger has hit it at 6.5 feet.

Christopher

Millie is 7.25' deep.  The old platform pilings are 5-10 feet inside the channel from the new #2 mark - towards the channel center and toward land.  Don't ask me how I know this.  :o  3x
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

Well, I know you can hit it on both sides, not just toward land.

Charles

Quote from: Christopher on January 09, 2012, 07:51:54 PM
Millie is 7.25' deep.  The old platform pilings are 5-10 feet inside the channel from the new #2 mark - towards the channel center and toward land.  Don't ask me how I know this.  :o  3x

I know how!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Corsaire

John

We (French Connection) also hit the old #2 platform approximately 10-15 feet away from the new #2 on a line toward #1.  We were a few seconds late to the start of Icicle #1 and I turned the boat to cross the line once I thought we were clear of old #2.  Ten feet away is not enough if you draw 7 feet, we hit hard.  We were going around 5 plus knots and came to an abrupt all stop and then sort of bounced over or around the obstruction. I am going to ask Zak to dive the keel and see if we hit on the bottom of the keel or scraffed the side of it and then I will report out.

Cheers
John Mather

MaryM

Wow.  Are any of you planning on notifying the USCG of the obstruction?  It seems like they might be more inclined to do something about it if reported by everyone that has has an issue with it. This is not like a submerged obstruction in the bay, this is in a designated channel.

BoomerangJ

What is really starting to worry me is the size of this obstruction-it seems like the safe thing to do is to stay 10-15' away from #2 on all sides?  does anyone have a digital sounder/fish finder that can map and post this?  I'd like to know more about this!!!

Bee

Stinger has hit this but we were very close to the marker.  Assuming we were 5 feet away each time (knowing me it was probably a bit closer)  a 11 foot beam means that a reasonable estimate of how far away your keel should be is, in fact, 10 feet.  In our case the "bump" was quick and did not seem to be all that much of an issue.  However, this happened in the summer when the water level was high so with a foot or two less water you are indeed going to come to a complete stop.

Start in the middle or closer to the green marker.