New Member Wishing to Race

Started by jhardgrave, October 22, 2019, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhardgrave

Hey guys,

I've recently joined GBCA, and I'd like to get my boat a club handicap and start participating. The Icicle Series will most likely be the first race I can join. I've tried emailing cruising@gbca.org and my emails get returned unsendable, Does anyone have contact information I could use to get myself and my boat primed up?

I also wanted to ask this forum what type of skill you require to begin competing in your races. I grew up dingy racing at LYC on 420's, so I know the rules and can make my way around the course, and I sail my 41' boat often, so I can handle it well. 

However, I don't have much experience racing larger cruising boats around the marks, and I don't mind slogging along at the back of the pack learning, I just want to make sure ahead of time there's not a particular expectation about this?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Jake
Gypsy Wind
Catalina Morgan 41 Classic
Current PHRF rating: 217

BrianL

Icicle and Rum Races are informal races. Check out the instructions on the GBCA main website. You can contact me if you want some insight.
713-446-7480 (cell, text first). or blevack@sbcglobal.net

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Senior GBCA Member Rewards:

FREE 3 HOUR INTRODUCTION TO RACING/CREW WORK/BOAT PREP/SAIL TRIM ON YOUR BOAT OR MINE
01 Jan 2015 8:47 AM | Alan Bates
For New Racers:
We can not master all that in 3 hours, but we can find out what you need to learn, practice, or improve upon.  We can get some basic skills practiced for Rum/Icicle Races or buoy racing.  We can inspect your boat to optimize your assets for racing.

For Experienced Racers:
We can practice, fine tune, and hone your skills.  I offer 38 years of PHRF, and 14 years of one-design racing experience. We can bring your whole crew, or develop new crew during this time.  We can set goals and a timeline to achieve them.
Call or email for availability:

Alan Bates
B Sailing
www.bsailing.com
cell: 281-212-7348
bsailingbates@icloud.com

Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.