HYC Offshore

Started by Bee, April 02, 2012, 12:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

From G Wittich

Lakewood will host a one day Offshore Safety and Navigation Seminar this Saturday, April 14, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
It is primarily intended for racers entering the Galveston to Gulfport Race.
However, racers planning to participate in the upcoming Heald Bank and Harvest Moon Regattas or other offshore races are also welcome.
Attendance is free.

Your should attend Brain.

DuaneB

Duane Bez

John Swanson

Never having gone to Galveston for the night, can anyone recommend a place to get a slip? I just called the Harbor House and they said I can only stay there if I also book a night in their hotel - I plan to stay aboard that night.

Bee

You can try Galveston Yacht Basin:

Talk to Rita Higgins:  409-762-9689

Deckhand

Another option would be Pelican Rest Marina pelicanrestmarina.com . We went there for Easter and the marina had depths in the 10+ foot range. Pelican Rest is in Offats Bayou so you must enter the ICW to get there. You would most likely have to leave the marina in the morning of the race before sunrise and go thru the Pelican Island Bridge ( short cut thru Galveston Harbor). The ICW in the dark can be daunting. Pelican Island bridge does have some times they are not open.
Pelican Island Bridge (Galveston Harbor)
phone: 409-744-2908     
VHF channel 16

Due to rush hour traffic on the bridge, there are no openings during the following weekday hours:
6:45am - 8:10am
12:00noon - 1:00pm
4:15pm - 5:15pm
(There are no opening restrictions on weekends and holidays.)

You must also go under the Galveston Causway Lifting Bridge. The new bridge has a height restriction of I believe 65 feet. Not sure this is good idea if you have never been to Offats, but something to think about.
Scott Lacy

GBCA Commodore 2014

Charles

FYI, It's only about 1/4 mile farther to go around the north end of Pelican Island rather than through the Galveston Channel.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Charles

That new marina looks like it might be a place for future TRW's
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Deckhand

It is a real nice marina with all floating docks. They are trying to cater to large sportfish boats but were very accommodating to Tramp and a smaller sailboat with us. No facilities but one restroom with no shower, but should have restaurant and heads by the end of the year. The fuel dock may be open by now but was not when we were there. Parrot Tales came into the marina while we were there ( waiting on the Galveston Causway Lifting Bridge to open) and did not have a problem with depth. On the facebook page are some photos of a bunny (easter) that is allegedly me  ;D
GBCA Commodore 2014

John Swanson

Thanks, everyone - we'll be staying at the Galveston Yacht Basin.

Jim Powers

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=277612382319848&set=a.277606658987087.65113.182345845179836&type=1&theater
Quote from: Deckhand on April 25, 2012, 07:40:55 AM
It is a real nice marina with all floating docks. They are trying to cater to large sportfish boats but were very accommodating to Tramp and a smaller sailboat with us. No facilities but one restroom with no shower, but should have restaurant and heads by the end of the year. The fuel dock may be open by now but was not when we were there. Parrot Tales came into the marina while we were there ( waiting on the Galveston Causway Lifting Bridge to open) and did not have a problem with depth. On the facebook page are some photos of a bunny (easter) that is allegedly me  ;D

Deckhand

It was early, so no champagne!
GBCA Commodore 2014

billvanrav

Hi y'all, FYI we've posted some final updates on our Regatta notice board at www.hycoffshoreregatta.com.  We've got 16 entrants (one withdrawal due to work conflict) and the makings of a pretty good time in Freeport.  Now all we need is some wind...

ChrisK

The moon looks great tonight. How was day one?
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

From Stinger's perspective this regatta was great.  Winds on Saturday (~ 150 degrees, 10-15) did not let us hoist our kites but the spinnaker fleet made it down to Freeport 8 around 4 PM.  This was a pursuit style so not to surprisingly we all got there at just about the same time.

The run up to the marina is a bit long (about an hour) but pretty straight forward.  Barge/Commercial traffic was pretty light so no problems there.  Water depth is not an issue  and the Freeport Marina is brand spanking new with lots of slips.  Was surprised to see so many sailboats there.  Some were older designs but in really great condition.  This should be a really nice place to hold TRW.

Winds on Saturday started out int the 15-20 range but dropped back as we neared the jetties.  The entire 5-boat spin fleet manged to hoist their kites and flew them all the way back to G11.  Stinger was in a slip at HYC aroun 5:00PM.

There was a hell of a lot of grass out there and almost all the boats had to back down.  If you decide to do the TRW and the grass is back be prepared to execute this maneuver.

Met some interesting people on the cruising side, one group of which were older then me.  Yeah I know that's hard to believe, but these ladies and gentlemen had sailed to many places around the world and looked to me to be able to continue it for some time to come.  Made me think I should stop bitching about getting old and just get after it.  Yeah, that's the proper response!

One of the more interesting things was to race against a MacGregor 65.  What a sled.  The fella that owns and sails it is a very interesting and friendly guy but that 39 handicap was just a bit to low.

I think this race should be continued in the foreseeable future.

Bee

One more thing.  The Freeport Motel is right by the marina, but its a bit on the tired and worn out side.  Nevertheless, the AC worked, the rooms appeared to be clean, but there is basically not much in the way of eateries close by.