GBCA Cruising Class

Started by ShakenNotStirred, June 19, 2012, 09:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

In my opinion the GBCA Cruising Class is one of the best ideas ever.  This is a superb opportunity to have a lot of people who don't spend a lot of money on sails or work a lot on hoisting and dousing a complex sail (spinnaker) to hopefully have a lot of fun on the water.  Its really great to see these boats out.  Makes for a really beautiful day.

I have learned a lot about having more sailing fun from just talking to the cruising folk and I really want them to continue and grow.  The images of all those great boats out on the Bay is super. Hopefully more will join GBCA and come out and play with the rest of us.  I don't think we should necessarily complicate their efforts.  Let the Super Chicken take care of it.

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: kentwm on January 21, 2013, 12:45:42 PM
#1 - in 2010 very few of the boats in the class flew spinnakers. Now it seams that about 1/3 do. Which is great except when your a non-spin boat and the winds allow flying the chute on 2 of 3 legs. Might consider splitting into a spin and non-spin cruising class for Icicles and Rum Races.

Did the first-to-finish boat the last two races (Skalawag) fly a chute?  I don't know, I couldn't see that far ahead!
2013 Commodore

jwells

Great comments, all. Chris, the golf handicap article by a golfing sailor was especially enlightening. Indeed, Walter, Todd's Scalawag does not fly a spin and yet we see him 'in the rum' quite freqently in all types of wind. Good insight from Bee, BJ Sailor and Kevin H. as well.

So, Kent, hope this thread is helpful and encouraging. Your 'High Cotton' did very well under trying conditions in the first Icicle. I would take a lot of encouragement from that race and believe that the efforts of Kevin Box and others to level the playing field will work out over time.
Thanks for joining and for caring enough to look into the 'nuts and bolts' of the club handicap class.

Terry Young

Spinnakers may help you, but if you do not know what you are doing it can hurt your speed, leaving it open in the club class opens your mind to learn how to fly a kite and experience something new in sailing or just scares the sh#t out of you. I have won races with and without a kite, I have passed boats flying a kite went I was not. FireWater pulled to first places in a row without a kite. I say leave it open, to encourage others to feel ?the force? of the kite. By no means am I an expert with a kite or an expert sailor, but when I have a kite up and flying it rite, I am in my happy place! Last year I have seen more Cub Class trying kites that would not have ever tried if the class was not open, so this is a good thing. Now go out and have fun and flight a kite! ?KATANA?

Eric713

Terry.. I admire your enthusiam. Let us not forget your spin rating is 156 and you are now sporting a 207..

Terry Young

Notice I am not doing well this year, I am training a new crew of new poeple(non-racers) in hope of bring more people to the joy of club racing, and they are starting to enjoy it, now that it is starting to warm up. So I hope show improvement and lower that rating, and maybe if lady luck is with us, let them feel "the force"of the kite. Now go buy a kite, so you can feel "the force" to! "KATANA"

shawn

Go Terry
Go Katana

Best wishes
Shawn
Firewater
Stuck in Freeport
Shawn
Semi True Story

DollFin

OK y'all have this stuck in my head now so I just had to share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g89NxTTycxc

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

ChrisK

Catchy tune DollFin.
What could possibly go wrong with a spinnaker?
I like this song too...
http://youtu.be/yyBUc8bqzp8
Braaa-zillll!
Past Commodore, 2010

Eric713

We may be out for Conundrum and Rum races later this year.  Got other less fun things to do these days. This is the first Icicle Series in four yrs we've missed. Training new people is not an easy task.  Good luck Terry.

Sailaway

Hamburger

Did we get any pictures from last Saturday?

Deckhand

Check out the Icicle post. I was a little late. Check out Maarten's post as he has some good pics coming in with the spins behind him...for a while.
GBCA Commodore 2014

ShakenNotStirred

5 Cruising boats signed up for the Spring Regatta so far.  Can we make this the largest class?
You're not going to get better weather than this weekend!  Plus you get a cool shirt with your entry, not to mention a good party.
2013 Commodore

Bee

Would you guys put up with a J105?  Might be a bit unfair, but just think of the kudos when you kick my butt.