J. Howard Williams

Started by Maarten, December 17, 2012, 05:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maarten

By coincidence I came across the book written by J.Howard Williams, Love at first sight, describing his Sailing adventures around Galbeston Bay and far beyond. This is a very enjoyable read (for sailors) and takes one to past sailing adventures. The author has been commodore of GBCA must be over eighty now and apparently no longer sailing. Recommended reading.

MaryM

Maarten - it is indeed a wonderful  book.  J. Howard was our keynote speaker at the 60th Anniversary Commodore's Ball in 2007, quite entertaining and informative.  GBCA has quite an interesting history.  Hopefully he will see your post on the website!

Maarten

Would be great to meet him and even better take him sailing....

ChrisK

I sent along your compliment, Maarten. Here was Howard's response.
You might get your chance...

"Thank you...The reason for my desire to respond is that there are some recent changes in my life that at least two people might be interested in hearing.  As you may recall, Sue died unexpectedly April 1, 2011.  My health took a dramatic negative turn soon thereafter.  After 4 operations, three for bladder cancer, in less than a year, and months of chemo, I woke up in a hospital believing I had died.  When I asked my son, Jay, sleeping on a cot next to my bed what day it was and he answered me, I knew I was still alive.  The disappointment that overwhelmed me in learning I was alive disgusted me.  I discontinued all invasive medical procedures from that moment about 2 AM, May 3.  The recovery has been painfully slow because I started from such a low point, and I'm 84 years old.  Since Sue was the force behind our move off the water and out of boating but with my complete agreement, I began to tinker with the idea of getting back into sail.  In October, I bought a 31 year old Pearson 424 ketch in Palacios.  After some disasters with tradesmen (in name only) in Palacios, Jay and Larry helped me sail Bobkat into Lakewood Yacht Club the weekend of December 1.  I enjoyed "rejoining" the club after a 17 year absence because I recognized 4 guys sitting in the bar when I was being shown around the newly remodeled facilities.  They even gave me my old member number back.  Bringing back to proper condition a 31 year old boat is a challenge I welcome.  David Lindsay cleaned and repaired the main and mizzen and made new sail covers.  The 120% jib on a Hood furler looks almost new.  I'm trying to get the hull compounded and waxed in the water (the bottom was painted when the boat was hauled for survey) and then will come the varnish of the exterior teak.  The boat shows almost no use during its long life, no major repairs, not even streaks on the bottom of the keel that should appear on any boat used for its designed purposes.  I will continue to live in Sun City, Texas where two of my children have homes, but spend maybe half my time in Seabrook.  I met Paul, the owner of the Godsend to poor sailors, in his used "stuff" store.  He is going to sell a life raft mounting bracket for which I have no use.  He had purchased a used copy of my book, "Love at First Sight," from someone who wanted to sell it and complimented me by saying he read and enjoyed the book and wanted me to sign it.  Of course I did.  The book still sells a few copies every month.  It is now available from Amazon for down loading onto an e-reader for $4.  I look forward to joining GBCA and attending some functions.  I have no intention of racing again, but I might sail some...maybe the Bahamas, maybe the South Pacific but probably only as far as Smith's Point.  I attach a photo of the cruising spinnaker we played with on the sail up the coast.  If you wish, you could post this note for me."
Howard
Past Commodore, 2010

JayZ

Well Damn!  That's just awesome.  Good on ya!
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

mauigold

This book is in my stack.  Look
forward to reading!

Kelley

DollFin

Too bad there isn't a "Like" button for posts on here! :D

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

Bee

I just got the January 2013 Lakewood Log and yep, there he is.  Bobkat and all.  At 13 years his junior I am really impressed with his desire to continue to sail.  Hope I can continue that long.

Maarten

Glad I started this post. It shows that it is important to keep sailing and not move inland! I am looking forward to see Howard back on the water and somehow feel relieved he states he won't be racing because I have the feeling he would be lowering our chances of winning a prize!

Happy sailing in 2013 to all and fair winds and shining varnish for our yachts.