Sailing The Greek Cyclades

Started by sailor here, January 13, 2013, 07:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailor here

I?m planning a trip to bareboat sail the Greek Cyclades Islands in late April. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this area. Never been there and not sure what to expect. If you could share your past itinerary that would be very helpful as a place for me to start to plan mine. Do you have any suggestions on the must have items to take with us? This would be very beneficial. Thank you so much for taking a moment to help. It is sincerely appreciated.

SeaGypsy

We sailed in the Cyclades in July 1997, then the eastern Peloponnesus in 2007.  In 1997, we sailed out of Kalimaki Harbor to Kea, then Siros, and Paros.  We took the Flying Dolphin hydrofoil to Santorini, and a ferry to Delos and Mykanos.  It's a bit difficult to get into those harbors with a sailboat, or it was at the time. They may have better new harbors there now.  Paros made a great base of operations for side trips to the other islands in any case.  Ask the dock master to keep an eye on your boat if you go for an overnight to another island by ferry.  From Paros we went to Fikiadha bay on Kythnos.  From there we had a rough passage to Hydra in 25 knot winds across the open Aegean.  Late July is a bit too close to meltimi season.  April will be better sailing and cooler weather I expect.  Anyway, don't miss Hydra.  We went there on both trips and it is a gem.  No cars, just a few town trucks like garbage trucks.  Otherwise, everything moves by donkey.  Nice walk over to Mendraki Bay.  Great food in the tavernas.  On your way back to Kalimaki, stop overnight at Perdika on Aegina Island, rather than in Aegina town.  You won't regret it.  It's smaller, very pretty, and the food is great.  Less busy than Aegina town.
Get Imray-Iolaire charts, and Admiralty charts if you like paper charts as I do, in addition to GPS charts you like.  My Garmin hand-held worked nicely there.  Get used to Med-mooring.  You'll do a lot of that, but you can also anchor out in many ports.
The Greeks are wonderful people.  By the season's end they get a bit tourist weary I expect, but in April, they will roll out the red carpet for you.
What else would you like to know?
Bill & CJ Jenko
Sea Gypsy
Cheoy Lee 38

sailor here

thank you for the reply, Bill. i'll have to think about what else we need to know. yes, i have purchased a few of the same charts you mention, as well as the GPS Euro nautical map for that area. i have been thinking about what we will do and had sort of reached the same thought. instead of sailing to all the different islands, we could do some ferry trips to check out islands we will not sail to. so thank you for that confirmation.

we fly into Athens, and then pick the Cat up on the south tip of the mainland. we are thinking of sailing to Mykonos first, and then all the way to Thira/Santorini. what do you think of that? it will be a long sail, and obviously will depend on the weather.

I'm realizing that this sailing trip will probably cost less, certainly not much more if any, than it costs to do the same thing in the BVI. the flights are close to the same cost.

thanks again, sir. much appreciated.