Race to the Border

Started by DarinK, February 12, 2013, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarinK

Xavier has posted the schedule of events and press release for the race to the border.

http://www.racetotheborder.com/

Press release with all the pertinent information:

http://www.racetotheborder.com/PressRelease.htm

In addition to the "regular" race classes, a cruising class has also been added.  NOR should be available within a few days. 

hayesrigging

The entry form is posted on the web site at www.racetotheborder.com.  This is a great race for cruising class to jump on board and race offshore.  This should be a great year with plently of docking with the shrimp boat basin being cleared out. 

Keep checking the web site for updates.  The kick off party is April 13th at HSH office.  Make plans to come by for free drinks and food!!!

Xavier

FIRST BOAT TO REGISTER "CHIRON" PHRF SPINNAKER

CONGRATULATIONS TO GREG GLADEN AND WELCOME TO THE RACE TO THE BORDER

http://www.racetotheborder.com/

Bee

I always think about signing up for this until I realize that this is probably just beyond Stinger's BEER RANGE.  We would probably have to drag an efficient nacelle completely filled with the elixir.  I think Charles has a design for this that would allow us to drink the entire way down.  My only concern is whether or not it would stay cold.  Might have to fill it with that awful British stuff and drink it warm.  What the heck Beer is Beer and no longer your average breakfast drink.

Xavier

La Copa Inn will be the official hotel for the regatta. Start making reservations by mentioning The Race To The Border. We have a special rate of $110.

RESERVATIONS
866?4LACOPA (866-452-2672)

Xavier

Just a reminder to save the date. Saturday April 13 Kick Off party at HSH Yachts, come by and get all the information about the race, or log on to our website. If you are planning to do the race it's time to sign up.

Xavier

Since the Safety seminar interferes with the Shoe Regatta, we will combine the safety seminar with the skipper's meeting on May 30th.

sailorjohnny

Island Time's spin rating is 141. I don't know what the "TBD" means. ???

ShakenNotStirred

9 Boats started.
7 Boats finished.
2 broken booms.
The fleet had some squally weather on Sunday morning, followed by light winds.  Several crews reported that the squall was the most fun on the whole trip; others had different opinions.
Cache pulled into Port O'Connor Sunday, and was on the way back to Galveston on Monday.  Rosalita pulled into Port Aransas.
Cimboca finished the race under headsails alone, as her boom also broke on an unintentional jibe. Seute Deern being hauled to have a broken thru-hull replaced.
No injuries on any of the boats.  :)

The 7 finishers all finished on Monday.  First one in at 0949 and last one at 1849.  The Laguna Madre Yacht Club hosted a reception Monday night, and graciously offered their club for the awards banquet on Wednesday evening.

We just finished having cheeseburgers at Pirates Landing overlooking beautiful Laguna Madre. Tonight is the famous bonfire.
2013 Commodore

ShakenNotStirred

2013 Commodore

Terry Young

I was suppose to be in this race on Cashe, but do to my 24 wedding aniverity I had to pass. Cashe? is over fifty feet long, and to brake it?s boom it would require thousands of pounds of force! I must of gotten bad, any one get hurt, the owner Bob is over 80 years old, and a good person to crew for.

Bee

I did not realize what this race is about.  Never paid much attention to it.  But:

QuoteRace to the Border is a non-profit association that raises money for the preservation of water resources such as beaches and lakes for recreational activities.

Xavier you are a prince for doing this.  If I am alive and functioning in two years Team Stinger will run it and provide some sponsorship.

My Bad.

Terry Young

Talk to Cashe crew member back at dock at LYC, all crew ok, boat hurt!

Xavier

Than you to all participants and GBCA for their support. It was a tough year with few boats but the festivities didn't stop. I know Walter Caldwell has some great pictures. When I get a chance to breath, I'll post some on the website, in the mean time I have to finish organizing my high school reunion in couple weeks.