2013 HYC OFFSHORE REGATTA: THE REACH DOWN THE BEACH

Started by Terry Young, April 16, 2013, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Young

Anyone know where the site is for the crew waivers are for this race?
Best wishes for all and be safe, see you all at the party.

Terry Young(crew for Cache?)

Bee

Fortunately, this is HYC and not LYC.  Overall there are less power boat owning lawyers at HYC.  No wavier site.

Maarten

It is not such a bad idea to have a crew waiver for regattas. Sailors may not all be lawyers but some are and the insurance companies are definitely. Anyone has a good standard form to use?

Bee

I don't disagree with this but LYC's wavier is the strongest I have seen.  I haven't seen anything that strong at the National events we have done.  I think HYC does it properly.

Terry Young

Sorry I have not been fond of lawyers since my divorce over twenty-five years ago, I am sure there are many good lawyers out there(they must be sailors),but there are some ?BAD? lawyers(they must ?not? be sailors) out there as well, I know this for a fact, and they can make a mess of your live!  I do think it would be a good idea register the crew with the boat, in case of an emergency, or ?Mayday? call, just keep club racing from being drowned with paper work, we are here to have fun and make new friends, and share ideas. Just my thoughts!

Tye Dyed Gary

I agree with the idea of having a list of the crew members on any given boat for emergency reasons. BUT we need to keep Maritime laws separate from Civil law.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Andrea

Waivers are a pain, but on line waivers were a big improvement, and if you look at US Sailing's white paper on waivers and indemnity agreements (which are only allowed in rare cases), you will see that the Lakewood waiver follows the sample set out by US Sailing, with only minor modifications to make it comply with Texas "Express Negligence" laws. LYC is unique among yacht clubs, because we actually own our marina property, which is not always the case, so we have a lot more at risk, and a lot higher insurance bill.  I pay more each month toward club insurance than most racers pay as an entry fee to do a regatta.
Speaking of regattas, Bill and others have worked hard to make the TORC races special.  The Reach down the beach sounds like a fun prelude to the TORC event, and the new non spin TORC trophy looks like it is bringing out some great competition!  Good Job HYC and Bill in particular!

aj

reading the si.  should 9.3, 9.4 & 9.5 say:
mark "D" to port and proceed to finish at mark "E" in galveston?

Terry Young

Are these dates right on the SI ? The race starts on April 26 ( Friday) maybe a little for any changes on May 02.

4. CHANGES IN SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
Any change to these sailing instructions or schedule of race will be posted on the official
race information notice board located in the breezeway adjacent to the offices of the
Houston Yacht Club no later than midnight May 02 (Wednesday). These same notices will
be sent via e-mail to all competitors no later than midnight May 02 (Wednesday) to the
same address as submitted at registration.

Charles

Quote from: aj on April 18, 2013, 08:10:53 PM
reading the si.  should 9.3, 9.4 & 9.5 say:
mark "D" to port and proceed to finish at mark "E" in galveston?

That is correct, AJ
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

You will all recognize that I am a glutton for punishment.  I have set up a password less Kattack feed for the reach down the beach
and for the HYC Offshore on Saturday.  Feed will be live after 5:00 AM on the 26th.

On you iPhone or Android

Start Kattack
Go to myBoats
Give your boat a name (alpha characters only)
Select the J105 Class and then the HYC Offshore feed
Phone should then say Status OK

There is no password.

Bee

that should have bee J105 Fleet 17 before you get to HYC Offshore.

edthemainsailguy

Terry Young

Anyone know where to find the scores are at, I don't see them on the HYC page. Or know the scores?
On another note, fun race, had a lot of fun and all went well and the food was good, and even got a hot shower, at the marina as well. Was a little worried about getting Cache' under the flood gate but had a foot or two to spare. And the race committee did a great job putting it all together.
And I final got to meet Bee, he has to be pretty though to drive a rocket ship of a boat like Stinger, little or no comforts there! You go Bee!