S.D.R. Socially Distant Racing

Started by Tye Dyed Gary, March 24, 2020, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye Dyed Gary

I had a friend forward the NOR and SI to me. It looks like a good idea. SOO, why not post them on the web site?   I know there is a conflict with the Peanut Regatta but it gives options.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Rmiller1

It looks like a good idea to me too, and I'll probably singlehand Trick Bag for them (though probably not this weekend). That said, might be a good idea to distance the club from the series, since it seems to me it falls into a bit of a gray area legally. I don't see any skippers getting in trouble as long as crews comply with the distancing rules, but whoever wrote the "SIs" could get fined despite their claims of not organizing anything.

TomS

As the Government changes the Social Distance guidance and mandates, everyone can decide if they can be in compliance and also sail safely.  If they can't do both of these, then they should err on the side of caution and not sail. 

The sail/don't sail decision will change as the guidance & mandates change.  At one recent point in time, the guidance was not to gather in groups containing more than 10 people and the distance people were to stay apart wasn't mentioned.  (If I recall correctly, the guidance about a week ago was to "elbow bump" instead of shaking hands, which clearly wasn't a 6 ft separation.)  This shows that the skippers, who have almost always shown good judgement in terms crew safety, would have to re-evaluate their decision every time the guidance and mandates change.

As a single-hander, it seems to me that I will be in compliance; I'll be a good deal farther away from other people than when I walk the dogs. Others with multi-person crews may reach a different conclusion as to their ability to be in compliance with the guidance and mandates in effect at that time.

The decision to sail or not sail would seem to be independent of whether or not there is a "course." The risk of people on different boats being inside the current separation guideline would be about the same as if they are randomly sailing around the bay.  So the limiting factor as I write this would appear to be the 6 ft separation between persons who are not immediate family.  (This assumes I am recalling the distance of separation in the current guidance correctly.)

There will always be more sailing and more regattas.

Be Safe!

STuma

Quote from: Tye Dyed Gary on March 24, 2020, 12:41:59 PM
  I had a friend forward the NOR and SI to me. It looks like a good idea. SOO, why not post them on the web site?   I know there is a conflict with the Peanut Regatta but it gives options.

the SDR is not a sanctioned GBCA event.
cheers...
Scott