Why changes to the Singlehanded and Mixed Doubles Regatta?

Started by Tye Dyed Gary, August 14, 2021, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye Dyed Gary

I understand that fewer boats are turning out for round the buoys races. But why a complete change in format and major separation of the two races that have for years been considered one regatta with two formats? And most of all why throw them in with the cluster mess of a Rum Race? Every Singlehanded / Mixed Doubles regatta that I have helped run or been in have been run on a single weekend and have been windward / leeward around dropped marks.
  I understand that this regatta was not run last year because of restrictions, but that should not have mint that the memorandum of purpose or deed of gift should be ignored. If the board wanted to make changes to MoP or DoG, there is a simple procedure that involves bringing it before the membership. When I left as recording secretary, there was a file of all the Deeds of Gifts and Memorandums of Purpose, that covered all the regattas. The Rum Race did not have one, as it was an evolving format to try and get people, down to their boats on Friday evening, later changed to Saturday, to increase participation.   
  On a side note, I have not been in a single Rum Race this year that I have not been fouled, in some cases having to crash tack to avoid being t-boned by someone on port tack and at mark rounding's. The R/R states it is run under the 2021-2024 RRS, but it would be nice if more then a handful of participants actually read and understood the rules.         
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Charles

" The R/R states it is run under the 2021-2024 RRS, but it would be nice if more then a handful of participants actually read and understood the rules.   "

TRUTH!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

cmay

Gary,

Unfortunately, attendance for these two has dwindled over the past decade. In addition, we are as challenged as ever for volunteers and volunteered boats these days. Given the amount of work involved in putting together a two-day drop mark regatta.  It just doesn't make sense for W/L when only half a dozen boats show up. We decided to try something else and see if we could spur some additional interest, especially since it would be in a very familiar format. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it helped much.

As for the Deeds, I do not recall what the Deeds say for these particular perpetual trophies day. That said, most all of the Deeds are specific to the event and class to be awarded. The format of the race itself is largely left up to the Fleet Captain/Board. I will take a look at these specific ones and see what they say.

As for your comment on the rules and RR, I agree wholeheartedly. I have specifically called out one incident I personally witnessed. I am sure there are no shortage of others. People need to remember the absence of protests doesn't do away with the Corinthian spirit.

Thanks,

Chris

Tye Dyed Gary

I was asked what is the difference of Deed of Gift and Memorandum of Purpose.
  A Deed of Gift, has a family member or an out side sponsor, example; as in the Performance Cup, it was first sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank in Seabrook, when they dropped sponsorship Compass Bank picked it up. But the Deed of Gift stands as the guide to the format that the event is run.
  A Memorandum of Purpose is an inside the organization (club) sponsored event is a guide to the format that the event is run, example would be the J. Kevin Box Memorial Conundrum Regatta.
  Both are suppose to be read and accepted in open meeting to the membership. Again any changes go through the membership, this can be in open meeting or survey of the membership, and if it is still a sponsored event, through the sponsor.   
  And then we have the Rum Races that were never codified and constantly changing year to year, to the changing needs and conditions and at the whim of who ever is Fleet Captain at the time.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

BrianL

I gave up on the Singlehanded race yesterday when a J70 came bearing down on me under spinnaker and didnt alter course and I had to either crash tack or gybe around. I gybed.  Decided not to deal with the rest of the crowd. The Single Handed and the Doubles should be their own race. Maybe you should eliminate a RumRace or two if it means that other races would get better participation. Frankly, with the RumRace, SDR and Peanut races, there are a ton of opportunities for people to casually race. Maybe too many at this point.

Brian

STuma

Quote from: Tye Dyed Gary on August 15, 2021, 10:18:03 AM
  I was asked what is the difference of Deed of Gift and Memorandum of Purpose.
  A Deed of Gift, has a family member or an out side sponsor, example; as in the Performance Cup, it was first sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank in Seabrook, when they dropped sponsorship Compass Bank picked it up. But the Deed of Gift stands as the guide to the format that the event is run.
  A Memorandum of Purpose is an inside the organization (club) sponsored event is a guide to the format that the event is run, example would be the J. Kevin Box Memorial Conundrum Regatta.
  Both are suppose to be read and accepted in open meeting to the membership. Again any changes go through the membership, this can be in open meeting or survey of the membership, and if it is still a sponsored event, through the sponsor.   
  And then we have the Rum Races that were never codified and constantly changing year to year, to the changing needs and conditions and at the whim of who ever is Fleet Captain at the time.

Gary,

There have been no changes to the Deed of Gift for the GBCA Bay Singlehanded Regatta or Martin Bludworth Trophy GBCA Mixed Doubles Regatta. The deed for the "GBCA Bay Singlehanded Regatta" states:

This trophy, a ship's wooden block donated by C&C Sailmakers, shall be awarded to the overall spinnaker fleet winner of GBCA's Singlehanded Regatta. The detailed requirements for the overall winner shall be established by GBCA. The winning skipper must be a current senior member of GBCA. This trophy is the property of GBCA. It will be displayed in or near the GBCA trophy case. "Take-Home" trophies will be awarded. These trophies will be paid for from the GBCA general fund.

This Deed of Gift is confirmed on the 11 day of January, 2005.

Per the Deed of Gift, GBCA dictates how the race is done; including the course. The course and format has changed over the years to accommodate the constant changing culture of sailboat racing on Galveston Bay. If you go and reread the bylaws,  "The Fleet Captain's primary job for the Club is to develop an overall racing schedule for the Club to serve as liaison between the Club and other sailing organizations regarding scheduling and conducting of sailing events and to plan and conduct regattas and races organized by the Club." How an event is run and the format has always been up to the Fleet Captain. There have been cases where a Chairperson for a regatta was designated and they would run it under the Fleet Captain.

If you want a copy of the DoG for your records, I can email you one.

When you get into organizing and running events, you will realize that the culture is constantly changing and cannot focus on satisfying just one class. We have to consider what fleets are active, what type of racing do people want to do, how active will racers be at a party, and/or what hazards may be present or surfaced, If you recall, the purpose of the club (Article 1 Section 2 of Bylaws) is "to promote sailing and racing of cruising sailboats in a sportsmanlike manner; to foster the arts of navigation, meteorology and seamanship; and to provide educational and social events for the membership." This statement can lead us down a huge rabbit hole.

If you have an issue on how the races are done, why not send an email to the board, come to a board meeting, or just call me?
cheers...
Scott