Jim Wells

Started by Sailchick, December 27, 2013, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailchick

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our Vice Commodore, Mr. Jim Wells.

Jim passed away peacefully at home today. His battle with ALS was physically demanding and his reward in heaven is near. The Wells family appreciates all of your love and support.

The visitation will be held Sunday December 29 from 6-9 pm at Crowder Funeral Home in Webster (111 E. Medical Center Blvd.), with a Rosary at 7:30 p.m. The Requiem Mass will be said on Monday December 30 at 11:30 am, at Queen of Angels Catholic Church in Dickinson, TX (4100 Texas 3). Jim will be laid to rest at Mt. Olivet Catholic Cemetery at I-45 S. @ Hughes Rd., Exit 19, Dickinson, TX.

For those of you who didn't know Jim, he began sailing on Clear Lake with the Clear Lake Sailing Club in his first Daysailer.  A few years later he competed in the CLRA Wed. Night Races with a few other CLSC sailors.  Last year, he and Bob Hunkins bought their S2 10.3, Leopard and raced it in GBCA events last season.  He and his wife, Janelle call League City their home and they have four grown children.

For me, Jim was my endless supporter of sustainability and promoting clean regattas.  He was a smile and a positive spirit and the one that you 100% counted on.  Rest In Peace sir.  You influenced so many lives while living your best one.

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

ChrisK

Jim was one of the good guys. A racer at heart who loved sailing and Galveston Bay.  We were very lucky to have him crew on several Wednesday Nights and Icicle/Rum races.  We also raced against him several years before in some epic battles on the Pearson Flyer.  Always cool calm and collected, he was one of those guys you wanted on your boat.  I can't get over how thrilled he would be to go race, time and time again! His enthuiasm was contagious. As a testiment to his character, he continued to volunteer with GBCA despite his diagnosis.  A positive spirit, indeed.
Jim is one of those rare people you meet in life that are so genuine, and so nice... a real loss for us all.
Jim, you will be missed.
Past Commodore, 2010

Leigh Ann

So sorry to hear this. Jim was such a positive person and  his enthusiasm for sailing was genuine. Galveston Bay sailing has loss a great ambassador and I am honored to have known Jim. Prayers to Jim's family.

shawn

I have raced with Jim, and against him, never a bad word to say, always positive, and happy to see you.  A positive role model for all.  I would offer that he just switched Yacht clubs.  I wonder what boat he would pick for the next race.

Smooth sailing Jim
Shawn
Semi True Story

Terry Young

I just heard about the lost of our good friend Jim Wells as well, we both raced in the Wednesday Races on Clearlake, for many years, he always was helpful to us all and always kept you smiling. He crewed for me(KATANA) in the 2010 Rum Races and the 2010 Harvest Moon Race(see photo) and helped us win a second place trophy, that was a race you just felt lucky to finish, but with Jims help we made it. We had some great talks together on that race, he will be greatly missed,but suffers no longer. 

I would like to suggest that we all fly(the higher the better) our American flags on the first Icicle race in memory of Jim! I think most of us have an American flag, just my thoughts pass it on and maybe it will catch on! Terry Young