Otra Vez

Started by Bee, January 22, 2014, 12:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

The new Ker 43 Custom Otra Vez at Key West.  Lots of GBCA boys on this one. 

Bill Coates, PK Caldwell, dAlex Crowell, Huey Kliebert, Kevin Hayes, Marc Holdaway, Jay Lutz, Mike McGagh, Janet Ruder, Vincent Ruder, David Shriner, Dave Whelan, Beatrice Witzgall.  Sounds like a who's who of Galveston Bay.

A 10 and two 5's so far for a 7/10 position.

Bee

Neat shot.  You can see Hayes hiking out.

Deckhand

Now that is a calendar shot!
GBCA Commodore 2014

ChrisA

Certainly a who's who of Galveston Bay. Not so much GBCA. Only 3 members on board; Bill, Kevin and Mike.

Bee

I did notice that, but seemed like a good bunch anyway..  Not doing all that well but at least they are there on a killer boat.  Would not mind being there myself.

svShearwater

Sounds like the weather has been crap compared to a "normal" Key West Race Week.  I think we've had better sailing (and weather) on Galveston Bay recently.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

STuma

As well as Vince and Janet Ruder, David Whelan, Alex Crowell...
cheers...
Scott

Bee

I checked the actual finishes for each of the races.  Except for the 1st one they have been crossing the line in either 1st or 2nd place.  Damn handicap is getting them.  Would be interesting to see a Kattack style race display of each race.  Would also be nice to see some GoPro video.

ChrisK

The boat is registered under yacht club GBCA, the owner re-upped his Sr. membership...sweet. It's even painted Seabrook Shipyard Teal. (Awesome paint job, Gulf Coast Composites... btw). So far results are mid pack with moments of greatness. It takes awhile to make a new ride fast..., especially an exotic machine like that. I heard this summer the boat is headed to Europe to race in the Med. Go fast OV! Represent!!

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=918
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Except for the very first race, da Boys have crossed the line scratch in either 1st or second place.  I agree that getting the boat up to speed usually takes some time but for me that is pretty damn good sailing.  Has to be a hoot even in 6th.

ChrisK

Off topic but...
Interesting to see how the KW lineup has changed over the years.
A little sad, actually. 7 Melges 32?, 7 Melges 24? A handful of TP52s?

Maybe its the economy or the outright cost of campaigning a boat that far from home. I suspect all the bashing, rift with the event organizers and near boycott by the head clowns at SA hasn't helped, that's a shame.     

KW is (still is) the pinnacle of winter racing in the the US and could (once again) be a major international circuit stop. So many great things going for it. 

One highlight: 60 J70s ! Even more interesting is at least 6 women (that I could count) are listed as helm, over 10% of the fleet.   ;) 
So who will bring sexy back?
http://youtu.be/UD8tGWIqA-c
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Interesting article by Coates on SA.  Still amazed they did so well given it was their first time racing the boat.