Wednesday Night Sailboat Racing for 2014

Started by Big John, February 26, 2014, 06:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quest

It was done in Joomla 1.5  When you count all the code level 'tweeks' that were applied it won't upgrade to 2 much less 3.  Poor John and Scott are probably going to have to start over.

While Wordpress and Concrete are good. John has a working understanding of Joomla.  It might be easiest to use latest Joomla with a 3 column template and some widgets to hold it all together.  They do this on a volunteer basis after all.

Tye Dyed Gary

OK, the site is down for now and BUT we still need to register for the end on season party, vote for crew - skipper and best liar or whatever. So is there an e-mail address we can send this stuff to until the web site is up? Also, I would like to know the schedule for the finals (no I didn't print out the schedule), so I can help or watch.   
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Deckhand

GBCA Commodore 2014

Big John

Sorry I haven't been watching this very closely.  Tough when you have database guts dripping from your ears.  The site was done in Joomla 1.5,  which was then advertising itself as a stable release.  It worked well enough and I was figuring how to do stuff. Things were rocky but usable until they stopped support for 1.5.  We knew we were being targeted by hackers, but most were inept and unable to overcome the captcha login on the administrator side.  Scott and I had decided to upgrade after this season, even if it meant kidnapping Buddy some dark and stormy night.  The hackers were ahead of us and figured out that our "contact us" would get them far enough inside to use the site for spamming others.  Hence our present state.  All I can say for sure is that once working, you will like the new one better than the old one.  But that is a week or so away. 
Meanwhile
Scott announces a lot of things on facebook.  The Semi finals started Wed the 10th Because we are a little earlier in the year (more daylight), races start around 4, with Skippers  meeting about 3.  Boats are C22's because of prep issues(thanks to Ben Miller for putting together the four boats on short notice).  Tom Meeh, Lauren Berger, and Glenn Ring raced this week.  Lauren and Tom are in the finals by the barest of margins.  Stuart Lindow was a no-show.  Next week, Jesse Fulmer, Jenny Hawkes, Carl Bohannon, and Ben Miller will face off to provide the last two finals positions.  For those scratching your heads, we have confirmed that the FJ racers were prevented from sailing on two of the three nights they no-showed because the chartered boats were not available for racing.  This re-instates Jenny in place of the Ruder boat team.  Next year's SI will be more explicit on this issue.
And
Please address correspondence such as Gary mentioned, eg "best liar" etc to the email addresses at the bottom of the season 6 results in this thread.  Please copy both c_l_r_a and me so I can keep bugging Scott.  More later.  Hmmm wonder if I can ftp this gizmo...

Big John

Quote from: Big John on September 11, 2014, 06:21:20 PM
Tom Meeh, Lauren Berger, and Glenn Ring raced this week.  Lauren and Tom are in the finals by the barest of margins.  Stuart Lindow was a no-show.  Next week, Jesse Fulmer, Jenny Hawkes, Carl Bohannon, and Ben Miller will face off to provide the last two finals positions.  For those scratching your heads, we have confirmed that the FJ racers were prevented from sailing on two of the three nights they no-showed because the chartered boats were not available for racing.  This re-instates Jenny in place of the Ruder boat team.  Next year's SI will be more explicit on this issue.
A valid source has indicated that Stuart's no-show was in protest about the handling of the FJ eligibility issues.  I take full credit for the ineptness in rule 17 of your SI's. The rule did not properly account for potential situations which did occur.  The PRO (Scott) was forced to make several arbitrary decisions, and did so in the fairest way possible under the circumstances. 

This is sailboat racing and we do it for fun. 
John

STuma

A HUGE thank you to John Butler for getting the web site back up and running. If there are some features that don't operate fully, don't worry, John is aware and just taking a breather from the countless hours spent in getting it back up.

The 2014 season winds down to an end, with the final championship race this Wednesday (9/24/14) starting at 4pm off the Villa Capri.  If you have not been down to a Wednesday night this year, this would be the race to watch. Four of our best teams are battling out for the overall champion.  Will Tom Meeh claim his 18th championship, or will we have a new face on the podium?  If you think you know the finish order of each race, email me your prediction to C_L_R_A at comcast dot net and we will see who got the closest.

Thank you to all the volunteers, on and off the water: Christina Tuma, Colleen Fiega, Patrick Fiega, Amy Crowell, Alex Crowell, Diana "Crowell", Tess Devore, Scott Gale, Rick Hassler, Greg Casamayor, John Butler, Cherie LeCompte, Gary Thies, Charles Broadus, Scott Lacey, Chris Dees, Kelly Dees, Ben Miller, Tyler Morgan, & Blair Pyne. We have had a large amount of support, to say the least. 

With the end near, also means we have nominations for Sportsmanship, Best Crew, and Most Improved.  You can goto this link to make your nominations: http://www.clearlakeracing.org/index.php/home/2014-nominations-for-sportsman-most-improved-and-best-crew

End of Year Party information can be found here: http://www.clearlakeracing.org/index.php/home/reservations-for-eoy-party

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
cheers...
Scott

STuma

A big congratulations to Tom Meeh and Dane Byerly for winning the 2014 Championship. An incredible feat given the competition and the challenging wind conditions.

We hope to see everyone at the End of Year Party on October 22nd at the Villa Capri.  Please be sure to vote for your crews that have put forth extra effort.  This is the best way to recgonize their efforts. 

You can follow the link http://www.clearlakeracing.org/index.php/home/2014-nominations-for-sportsman-most-improved-and-best-crew

And vote from there.

We hope to see everyone at the GBCA Performance Cup party and down at Harvest Moon.

Cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Deckhand

GBCA Commodore 2014

Deckhand

Missy Video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrFKztyAZ3s As I overheard Pete Meeh say "Tom is really going to be hard to live with now!" Congratulations Tom!
GBCA Commodore 2014