Catalina 22 Nationals

Started by Charles, May 24, 2014, 09:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

The Catalina 22 National Championship Regatta will be held Sunday, June 22nd through Thursday, June 26.  It is being hosted by the Lakewood Yacht Club and all activities will be held on the club grounds.  There will be several competitors coming in from out of town, out of state and some are looking for local crew.  If you are interested and available, or would like more information,  contact me and I will connect you with a potential skipper.
It will be a great event and offer four full days of racing and off the water activities.

Charles Broaddus
Catalina 22 NSA Fleet 17 Captain
cbroaddus@comcast.net
281-795-2911
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

ChrisK

36 boats. That's a heck of a fleet!
Past Commodore, 2010

Deckhand

What a great day on the lake and the bay. The first race this morning was the Spinaker Class with winds about 12 Kts and about 210 degrees. R/C set up and got the competitors going on a six leg course. The course was pretty short because of the direction of the wind and the distance of the Clear Lake Channel. Made for a pretty quick race.
  A quick lunch and out to the bay (Tramp went to the bay and achored out for lunch). The wind had shifted more SE at about 13-15 kts. The R/C set up a .9 NM course at 170 degrees and they were off. Two starts, Gold and Silver. Both classes were very competitive with most every one was on the line at the start.
  After the first weather mark of the Gold Fleet, we heard Dwight call the markset boat to look at the radar. We also took a look and the weather looked pretty nasty to the west and getting closer. Dwight made a good call and finished both classes and everybody headed for the house. No bad weather but it could have been. Good call Dwight!
  Here are the photos from the Bay Race.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157644916388630/
GBCA Commodore 2014

Sailaway

Deckhand

Day 2 of the Catalina 22 Nationals. Lighter air this morning but some great sailing. John got the pictures out earlier. This afternoon's race was great weather with lighter winds from yesterday, but still good sailing. Both classes got off and everything was great until the weather again started building. Dwight and the R/C crew got both classes in for one race and sent everyone home. We got back to LYC to drop off some crew, went to the fuel dock at SSY and just got back to the dock before the bottom fell out. Another good call. Though I would have to go home when the satelite went out 8).
The picture to the afternoon bay race: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157644935733017/ .
GBCA Commodore 2014

ChrisK

YIkes. Go away rain!  Great pictures btw. Look like some exciting starts
Past Commodore, 2010

Sailaway

Deckhand

Day 3 Catalina 22 Nationals. The morning started with the wind from the East at 13-15 KTS. R/C got the Spinaker Fleet started on a course 4 on a .5 KM leg. At the windward mark it was very close for the top 4 competitiors and the down wind run was fast. I don't think anybody broke anything, but there was lots of "stuff" happening.
  For the afternoon race, R/C opted to run the race in the lake as the Bay was a bit rough and if weather came in, it was a shorter trip to the dock. The race started on a course 4, heading 120, .5 KM. The wind was about 10 KTS and steady. After both starts the wind started dying and R/C shortened the course for a finish at the leeward gates. Hopefully the wind will hold in the morning tomorrow and R/C may run two Non-Spin race to finish the series. No lightning today but a bit of rain. It was still a great day on the water!. The pictures to this afternoon's race are at:https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157645366793294/
GBCA Commodore 2014

Deckhand

Wow!! What a day on the bay. R/C sent everyone to the bay and got in three races to finish the Catalina 22 Nationals. The first race was fair winds about 140 at 8-12 Kts. Both Gold and Silver ran a "4" course. The second race had moved down to 155 and the wind began to die to about 3-8 Kts. Then the last race!! R/C got them off and after the Silver fleet start (the Gold had already started and were heading back for the first gate), the wind began to die and the weather was again building to the west. Dwight decided to shorten the course to finish at the gate. About 6 of the Gold Fleet finished when the Mark Set boat called and said the wind shifted to 240 and big wind. In about 45 seconds it went from 8 Kts of wind to approx. 30 Kts of wind and rain coming down in buckets. I went up the course to check on everyone (could see maybe 300 ft) and saw Walter Horton coming down on a reach doing atleast 8 Kts. Too much rain to get a picture, but I think Marilyn did. Everyone make it in safe and decided that was enough fun for one day. Great job by the R/C crew for making a very competitive race course. The pictures for today are:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157645329853956/ &
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157644970570489/.
If anyone would like the 100% size, send me an email at sailsong@swbell.net.
GBCA Commodore 2014

ChrisK

Would love to see that picture of Walter...!

I bet all those visiting here think it rains here everyday...
Past Commodore, 2010