Bay Cup II

Started by gwittich, June 11, 2014, 05:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwittich

Congratulations to Shearwater for completing the race to Hawaii - they are excused for not signing up for Bay Cup.
Good luck to the offshore racers and the Race Committee with Texas Race Week!
Here's what's in store for Bay Cup next weekend:

Taking advantage of a high tide at noon, we plan to start the first race in Trinity Bay at 12:30, hoping for a decent sea breeze. As in recent years, we will set a quadrangular course of 8.5 Nm around tetrahedrons.

Second race: Z-shaped courses between 13.6 and 8.7 Nm, including a likely weather leg, with start near Marker 8 of the South Cut, around either the low range ("E"), the high range ("K") or the "H" rig, then South to M54 and finishing near Kemah.

Event planning (trophies etc.) would be greatly facilitated by timely sign-ups!
Thanks,
Gerhard Wittich

Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

JASpithill

Just an observation:  In the PHRF Non-spin Class there is a 200+ second per mile differential between the scratch boat and two Catalina 22s.  In the PHRF Spin A Class there is a 150+ second differential between the scratch boat and a third Catalina 22.  I have zero interest in influencing the composite Bay Cup results but it seems that, in the interest of competitive racing, a realignment of the Bay Cup II classes might be considered.

Bee

What would be more interesting is to get more boats out.  This would make class structures easier to define and even the playing field, but its difficult to do this when each such class has only three or four boats.

DwightB

I hear your point, Jack....the challenge is that we have the Overall/Series Trophies for each class for the Bay Cup series (BC I & BC II). The criteria for an Overall/Series Trophy is the same boat, same skipper, same class for both BC I and BC II.....which means that the splits for BC I in the largest part define the splits for BC II.

Bee is also correct.... more boats could create additional split possibilities, while still preserving the Overall structure.

See you on the water.....

Dwight

Maarten

Did anyone see the SI posted?

Veljko

Oops. I guess all the SI's ate in this thread.

Deckhand

GBCA Commodore 2014

Bee

Not sure how LYC pulled this off:

North winds!
High of just 87
Clouds all day to keep us cool

Is this really Texas?

Thanks Gerhard, Dwight, the good folks on Cuban, and, of course, Tramp and all the volunteers.

The Stinker bunch had a most wonderful (even if I did drink way too much beer  :) ) time.

The steak wasn't bad either.

Maarten

It seems that the Bay Cup attracts nice weather. Pity we had a bit of a lull in the wind on the downwind leg. After finishing we had a great sail back to HYC! Thanks for organizing and the pictures.
By the way #1: are the results posted somewhere?
By the way #2: what happened at the start of Classic Canvas A&B...we didn't protest but hopefully someone has explained what to do after an over early start, which is not trying to sail through the committee boat or make other starters have to take evasive action...but then mistakes do happen and no one got hurt.

JASpithill

Who provides the results, data feed to Regatta Networks and when will the results detail be available to view?

JASpithill

Quote from: Bee on July 31, 2014, 07:23:41 PM
What would be more interesting is to get more boats out.  This would make class structures easier to define and even the playing field, but its difficult to do this when each such class has only three or four boats.

Just maybe, more boats/owners would participate if . . . . . . three classes and not just one would have a reasonable chance to complete all three races in the very expensive Texas Race Week regatta; PHRF classes in major Galveston Bay regattas were aligned to provide good competition across the broadest racing conditions.  Just an observation but, aside from one-design racing, the Cruising Classes should be enjoying the most competitive racing in the bay. 

Bee

The results whenever they appear supposed to be here.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=8686

Stinger came in 7th/11th. Had more fun with 3 crew and me (I am pretty much dead weight)
then I have had in a while.  But, if you really really want to know who did what, come to the
awards ceremony and cheer the winners on.  The results will be posted and may still be posted
in the bar area at LYC.  :)

JASpithill

Quote from: Bee on August 03, 2014, 05:13:33 PM
The results whenever they appear supposed to be here.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=8686

Stinger came in 7th/11th. Had more fun with 3 crew and me (I am pretty much dead weight)
then I have had in a while.  But, if you really really want to know who did what, come to the
awards ceremony and cheer the winners on.  The results will be posted and may still be posted
in the bar area at LYC.  :)
The question wasn't WHERE, but WHEN.