Got a new boat for GB racing!

Started by svShearwater, September 06, 2014, 11:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Sorry Jay, was just being my usual sarcastic self.  No harm intended, just a weird sense of humor. I would never put a pole on Stinker. I wouldn't know how to drive under one and I doubt it would give her much of an advantage.  I think you PHRF guys do a good and most likely thankless job, so THANKS.

svShearwater

If you put a standard J length pole and a sym spinnaker sized to that pole I wouldn't think you would get much of a penalty if any. Yes you can square the pole, but the spin would be about 50% smaller. Not an obvious advantage.

I know for Pac Cup a guy limited the length of his sprit on his J/92 by 3' and ran an equivalent length spin pole as well. His rating didn't change.  The articulation advantage was offset by the shorter sprit.

We just realized a logistical issue that makes the fixed sprit more difficult. The trailer would interfere. Now thinking more along the lines of a J+2' pole and flying both symmetrical and asymmetricals off the pole. I'm a fan of sprits, but there are a number of good reasons to go with a pole.

Keith, yes, DH again. I know exactly what you mean about the kite collapsing and that is a definite reason to go with a pole.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

JayZ

Quote from: Bee on September 15, 2014, 07:30:45 PM
Sorry Jay, was just being my usual sarcastic self.  No harm intended, just a weird sense of humor. I would never put a pole on Stinker. I wouldn't know how to drive under one and I doubt it would give her much of an advantage.  I think you PHRF guys do a good and most likely thankless job, so THANKS.

Bee, no worries.  I caught the sarcasm.  Just slapping ya back a bit.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Keith

I raced to Hawaii with Frediie Courable who was on NAOS (Thirsty 30) an am good friends with him.  He broke down the last two DH Transpacs and they really changed thier style from the first to the second.    Their spinnaker selection and inventory was interesting and seemed to work really well when the breeze came on. 

Freddie is designing a small bowsprit for a customer of mine who I am setting up for Transpac.  The guy will use it to fly the Code 0 from and then launch his Ayso's before transferring to the pole.

Quote from: svShearwater on September 15, 2014, 08:25:43 PM
If you put a standard J length pole and a sym spinnaker sized to that pole I wouldn't think you would get much of a penalty if any. Yes you can square the pole, but the spin would be about 50% smaller. Not an obvious advantage.

I know for Pac Cup a guy limited the length of his sprit on his J/92 by 3' and ran an equivalent length spin pole as well. His rating didn't change.  The articulation advantage was offset by the shorter sprit.

We just realized a logistical issue that makes the fixed sprit more difficult. The trailer would interfere. Now thinking more along the lines of a J+2' pole and flying both symmetrical and asymmetricals off the pole. I'm a fan of sprits, but there are a number of good reasons to go with a pole.

Keith, yes, DH again. I know exactly what you mean about the kite collapsing and that is a definite reason to go with a pole.

svShearwater

We talked to Fred and Charles a bunch after the race in Hawaii.  They definitely figured out how to make a 30' 8000 pound boat go fast downhill. 

As I understand it they used smaller asym kites and a larger than typical staysail (free sail area).  He was talking about using even smaller kites next time.  Charles was also talking about replacing the keel and carbon rig too, so who knows what they'll actually end up with. 

Keith

Quote from: svShearwater on September 17, 2014, 12:39:18 PM
We talked to Fred and Charles a bunch after the race in Hawaii.  They definitely figured out how to make a 30' 8000 pound boat go fast downhill. 

As I understand it they used smaller asym kites and a larger than typical staysail (free sail area).  He was talking about using even smaller kites next time.  Charles was also talking about replacing the keel and carbon rig too, so who knows what they'll actually end up with. 

Old Charlie!  When I did T-Pac with him he brought the best wine.

Freddie and I have been going smaller with the spinnakers for a few years now.  Efficiency wins out over size in my book.  The went with the Symmetrical spinnakers for heavy air, safer for short handed sailing when surfing at top speeds.  I would not put those mods past Charlie, when he does something he does it right and all the way... wish more boat owners that want to go offshore took his lead.

STuma

Very interesting topic.  Short handed offshore requires a whole different set of parameters.  I agree that smaller kites are more beneficial short handed.  The way I view it is compete in an Ironman, then try to wrestle a chute short handed. That I'm aware of, my dad still holds the Shorthanded record from Galveston to St. Pete. It would be interesting to get more Shorthanded offshore sailing.

Please keep us up to date. 

Cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

STuma

Something to clarify on asym and sym chutes... If a boat uses a asym & a sym chute, both off the spin pole and built to PHRF dimensions, there is no penalty and either can be used. Also with zero penalty, is if someone uses an asym and tacked beyond J, there are limitations (stated in the March minutes) with pole length, luff length, girth and sail usage.  I think one of the most critical limitations is that with this set-up, only the asym can be used.  Using the sym and asym chutes is not allowed.  Using both in this set-up would be best of both worlds, and acquiring no penalty would not be fair.  But, if a boat uses a asym beyond the 20%J, the rating will have to be evaluated by the committee on a one-on-one basis.  Each boat reacts differently with the addition of downwind sail area, therefore a standard factor is not feasible.  I think viable GPS data should be submitted to the committee for evaluation of the benefit of the long pole and large chute.

If a asym on a sprit is used with a sym chute, the rating will be altered. 

Cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

svShearwater

Small is relative.  And regardless of where we end up, you are hard pressed to find a boat with a smaller spinnaker for sailing to Hawaii (Moore 24 and Express 27 are the only that come to mind).  For reference depending on how a big a spinnaker we end up with it will be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 the size of the kites we used on our J/120 to Hawaii this year.  A bit of a handkerchief by comparison.  :)

Shorthanded offshore in TX?  Well, Harvest Moon won't allow it due to unlit oil rigs, or so I'm told.  We tried...   

Quote from: STuma on September 18, 2014, 06:23:31 PM
Very interesting topic.  Short handed offshore requires a whole different set of parameters.  I agree that smaller kites are more beneficial short handed.  The way I view it is compete in an Ironman, then try to wrestle a chute short handed. That I'm aware of, my dad still holds the Shorthanded record from Galveston to St. Pete. It would be interesting to get more Shorthanded offshore sailing.

Please keep us up to date. 

Cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

Looks like a really neat ride. 3,000 pounds. 28 feet. I assume 4'3 draft to get you out of the slip in winter, 6' 3 to sail. Sweet!
Past Commodore, 2010

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: svShearwater on September 19, 2014, 01:39:37 PM
Shorthanded offshore in TX?  Well, Harvest Moon won't allow it due to unlit oil rigs, or so I'm told.  We tried...   
Race to the Border (Galveston to South Padre) has had a short-handed division since its inception. Looking forward to it in 2015.
2013 Commodore

svShearwater

Thanks for the reminder Walter.  I had forgotten about that race.  I like it.  We've put it on the calendar for 2015.  It will just depend on how quickly we can get the Cat 3 requirements sorted on the new boat.