Texas Race Week 2015

Started by Veljko, February 17, 2015, 03:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veljko

Is Texas Race Week happening this year? I don't see it on the calendar for July.

aj

no.  replaced by gbca offshore series on 23-may and 19-sept

Christopher

Quote from: Veljko on February 17, 2015, 03:10:05 PM
Is Texas Race Week happening this year? I don't see it on the calendar for July.

No.  The old format wasn't working anymore for long term sustainability.  So, we are trying something new this year.  An offshore race in the spring and another in the fall.  Two races that still satisfy the Navy Cup DoG, in conjunction with LYC Heald Bank Offshore and HYC Offshore, in which a spinnaker boat must participate in all four to be in contention for the Navy Cup.
Mahalo nui loa

svShearwater

Any details on the May 23rd Offshore race?  I believe you mentioned the destination during the Commodore's Ball, but I missed it.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

JayZ

Quote from: svShearwater on February 18, 2015, 09:49:09 AM
Any details on the May 23rd Offshore race?  I believe you mentioned the destination during the Commodore's Ball, but I missed it.

I think this race might coincide with the TMCA Spring Fling going to Port Arthur.  Hopefully someone here will confirm.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Christopher

That is correct.  We are running our first offshore race in partnership with TMCA Spring Fling to Pleasure Island in Sabine Lake.  It will probably be a pursuits style start Friday morning, starting from Marker 11 in the Bol?var Roads jetties of the Houston Ship Channel, going approx. 65 nm to the jetties at the entrance to Sabine.  Details are still being worked out.

Then there is a three day weekend of seminars, dinner, awards, bands and partying.
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

I assume that there is going to be a place to berth boats with draughts  more then 5 or maybe 5.5 feet.  I can see going up the channel but based on NOAA charts there does not appear to be any spot in Sabine Lake deeper than 6 feet. At least nothing close to the yacht club there.

Deckhand

Right now we are looking at Sabine Pass Marina http://www.sabinepassportauthority.com/ for the deeper draft boats. I have personally called and was told the depth in the marina is 9 feet. TMCA is talking about having bus service between PAYC and Sabine Pass. We hope to make a road trip next week to the marina and the jetties to check for ourselves.
GBCA Commodore 2014

svShearwater

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like some fun sailing in the Gulf between late April and late May. 
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

Christopher

TMCA has confirmed that the fee will be the same whether staying three nights at Pleasure Island or Port Authority marinas.
Both marinas can handle deep draft boats, the problem lies in getting across Sabine lake with a draft of more than six feet.
A shuttle bus will run between the two about four times a day.
Mahalo nui loa

Bee

Veljko

Quote from: aj on February 17, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
no.  replaced by gbca offshore series on 23-may and 19-sept

Thanks.

The calendar says Race #2 is Sept 26. Sept 19-20 is the HYC HOOD.

aj

my bad.  gbca offshore #2 is 26-september