2015 Offshore Racing Perpetual Trophies

Started by billvanrav, April 14, 2015, 03:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billvanrav

Hi - I'm Bill from HYC. In response to a LOT of questions regarding this topic this is what I understand to be the case: Regarding the:
A) TEXAS NAVY CUP: I'm not sure (please correct me...) but I believe that since TRW is split into TWO events - each GBCA race is counted for scoring as well as the Heald Bank and HYC Offshore.  Either the Heald Bank or HYC offshore can be used as a throw out - correct? SPIN CLASS only.
B) THE S Rhodes Fisher trophy is for NON-SPIN boats only.  Participation in the Heald Bank, HYC Offshore, and the two GBCA races is required. The winner gets to display the engraved trophy in their home club until February 01 2016. They also receive a "keeper" trophy. We will try to get the descendant of S Rhodes Fisher to present the trophy at the same event GBCA awards the Texas Navy Cup.
C) The Carroll Blanchard trophy is a big silver pot with "AIRBORNE" engraved on it.  It's been awarded since 1965 and carries names such as John Kolius, and OJ Young (Southern Star). It is awarded to the winner of the HYC Freeport to Galveston race.  This year we've expanded the time limit to 24 hours to avoid a timeout nightmare like happened last year.  We've also relaxed the length requirements plus this year will have a special trophy for the GBCA Club Handicap class.
Regardless, it's time to start finalizing all our offshore racing plans for the year.  The deadline for Heald Bank is next Wednesday - looking forward to seeing you all out there!

Bob H

Bill, you are correct. In the past the GBCA portion of the results for the Navy Cup came from Texas Race Week. GBCA is not doing that this year. Instead, we are having our offshore races in two separate events: The first is the Spring fling Offshore regatta from Galveston to Sabine on May 22nd, the second is on September 26th, and 27th. Details on that are still being worked out so I won't go into it more right now.

It is required to enter all four races to qualify for the Navy Cup, but the poorest score for each boat entering will be dropped. So if a boat cannot participate in all four, then there is a throwout.

billvanrav

There have been some more questions about the S Rhoads Fisher perpetual trophy... This award is for the boats registered in PHRF Non-Spin class for the 4 races of the TORC.  We have posted the Deed of Gift here http://houstonyachtclub.com/Racing/HYCOffshoreRegatta.aspx for public review.
This award was dedicated to S Rhoads Fisher in a focused effort to complement the offshore racing tradition established by the Texas Navy Cup (awarded by .... GBCA!!!). S Rhoads Fisher was the second Secretary of the Texas Navy and the man who developed that organization into a fighting force ? directly supporting Sam Houston?s victory over General Santa Anna at San Jacinto.  The Texas Navy employed a classic military tactic ? attack the enemy?s supply lines.  Santa Anna was re-supplied by sea, the Texas Navy enthusiastically intercepted these ships and supplies.  The result was that Santa Anna had to split his forces into thirds so that they could effectively forage for food. It was while leading one of these smaller groups that he was captured at San Jacinto?
Regarding Fisher himself.  He, like any good Texan of his day (or of this day for that matter?), was skilled with his sidearm.  Accounts tell of Fisher escaping in a long-boat after a raid on a coastal city in the Yucatan.  Nearly skewered by a horse-mounted Mexican lancer, Fisher downed the lancer with a single shot muzzle-loading pistol. Sadly, Secretary Fisher ended his days in a gunfight back in Texas...

billvanrav

UPDATE 29 April 2015: Well, the Heald Bank has been run (thank you LYC!) and the field of contenders for the S Rhoads Fisher Trophy has been established.  Results are posted at http://houstonyachtclub.com/OurClub/News.aspx.  The current leader is Tenacious with Bayou Baby a close second.  Based on registrations for the HYC Offshore it looks like the playing field this year will be Tenacious, Bayou Baby and Cache.  Three more races to go folks!

billvanrav

Well, the HYC Offshore has been run, congratulations to Bee and Kevin on Stinger!  They took first place in the spin class and won the Carroll Blanchard trophy; they'll get their names engraved on it.  Plus, looks like they have a strong lead on the Texas Navy Cup -  a lot of silver pots in one year!
Also, congratulations to Andiamo, sailed to first place in the non spin class DOUBLE HANDED in 20 - 25 knot breezes by John and Julie! Current S Rhodes Fisher standings can be seen at http://houstonyachtclub.com/OurClub/News.aspx.  It looks like the playing field is down to 6 boats with Bayou Baby in the lead followed by Tenacious and Andiamo.  Good luck on the Spring Fling race folks! 
Morning Sun took first place in the GBCA Cruising Class - congratulations!!!! This weekend we learned that Todd has a special (pet) name for his autohelm...

Bee

Which of these quotes are correct? I know one must enter all four, but is it possible to throw out one of the GBCA races or isn't it?

Quote from: billvanrav on April 14, 2015, 03:37:49 PM
A) TEXAS NAVY CUP: I'm not sure (please correct me...) but I believe that since TRW is split into TWO events - each GBCA race is counted for scoring as well as the Heald Bank and HYC Offshore.  Either the Heald Bank or HYC offshore can be used as a throw out - correct? SPIN CLASS only.

Quote from: Bob H on April 14, 2015, 04:01:25 PM
It is required to enter all four races to qualify for the Navy Cup, but the poorest score for each boat entering will be dropped. So if a boat cannot participate in all four, then there is a throwout.