Rum race starting time

Started by ShakenNotStirred, June 01, 2015, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you like the earlier rum race starting time?

Earlier the better
15 (39.5%)
It was fine how it was
14 (36.8%)
Move it to an hour later than it was
4 (10.5%)
I don't care
5 (13.2%)
What's a rum race?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Greg A Casamayor

I don't really care what time we start, one hour doesn't make any difference to me.  It's June racing, it's light air and if the sea breeze is not established by 2:00, it's not coming.  Other than Rum Races we start at 10:00 or 11:00 - I don't see what the big deal is.
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

George E Cushing

I just saw the poll at the top of this post. Everyone please take the poll. At the moment the sentiment is to leave the start time as it was.

Bee

Just to be clear, I also don't really care what time we start.  Stinger will be out there one way or the other.

Flying D

Eric713, great idea! Gets everyone to the party at the same time!

Terry Young

I like early, more time to be at the party before I make the 75 mile drive back to Katy Tx.

JayZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Quest

Quote from: hayesrigging on June 01, 2015, 10:39:34 PM
 Hope this year no one accuses us of cheating by flying two spins!!!

Was there a change to the rules that allows two spinnakers?  I'm just curious as I was under the impression this was not allowed since it's flying multiple headsails.  This is meant for information only.  She did look cool flying down the channel.

hayesrigging

We did not fly 2 spinnakers, the smaller blue and white sail is a blooper, not a spinnaker.  It is legal to fly along with a spinnaker.  It was actually too light last night for the blooper but I decided to fly it just for the heck of it.  Psyched is for sale if anyone wants it!!

Going back to the topic of this discussion, I dislike the earlier starting time.  Its brutally hot getting the boat ready to go.  Now your entire Saturday is devoted to racing rather than just late afternoon/evening.  The old "Sat night rum races" have turned into another day race that the only difference is the staggered starts.  That being said we will still be out there but I do wish we would start later.  Maybe designate one or two rum races with a later starting time so we can experience a little bit of the evening racing?

Kevin Hayes

BobCrosby

With my heavy liveaboard boat and light winds, even with the extra hour I missed the 9PM cutoff time (21:03:52 finish = DNF). (I do not like going upwind in light air.) I vote we keep the hour earlier start time at least for the cruising class.

George E Cushing

Let the cruising class start early and move the rest back to the hour later start time.

I agree with Kevin. An hour less in peak heat, one more hour for family obligations before leaving for sailing, sailing in with the sun setting... maybe even some night sailing on low wind days.

pete

Back to the previous start time please (later is better)

It's too hot to be starting at the earlier time for my taste. Higher sun angle= more sunburn. The early boat time cuts into doing much else those days.
And additionally the lower handicap boats (faster) will be starting in the later sea breeze providing a bit of an advantage for them. If cruising club wants to start earlier let them (or lower all their ratings).
  Pete

Terry Young

If the "go fast boats" want to start an hour later I am ok with that, without the extra hour it would of been close to the DNF for us on FireWater with the light wind at the start. Here is another idea, go back to the later time and use Icicle course for the slower boats and the new course for the "go fast boats", the race losses some of its fun if half the fleet is DNF.

Eric713

Another option is to shorten the course.  I know you guys have had problems with J mark, M54, M53.  Why not use F, G, or H to shorten the north side of the course?  Wait till next race.  If we get more light air..it'll be a beat 5 mi from E to M55.

CapRevJohn

We like it later, like last year.  It's awfully hot at the dock rigging up and waiting for crew when the start is this early.  It will get worse as the summer heats up.  In the summer, evening sailing is much nicer.  Perhaps extend the deadline for finishing for the slower boats.

gwittich

Figaro crew prefers the later start.
I realize that it would take two sets of starting times but I like Ed's suggestion to shorten the course for the handicap class.
Consider using the high range instead of the low range ("E").
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro