Rum race starting time

Started by ShakenNotStirred, June 01, 2015, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you like the earlier rum race starting time?

Earlier the better
15 (39.5%)
It was fine how it was
14 (36.8%)
Move it to an hour later than it was
4 (10.5%)
I don't care
5 (13.2%)
What's a rum race?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

pete

Anyone else want to weigh in? Log in and vote..... Did I mention it's hot?
:P

Eric713

It's fine the way it is now.

DollFin

I voted to have it earlier as that gives boats coming from HYC more time to get back and still make it to the party (hopefully before all the food is gone) :)

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

gwittich

Late guys (cool breeze, cruising into the sunset) - 47.2% (38.9 plus 8.3) clearly in the lead versus early guys at 38.9% (sweltering heat, crew has a hard time to get there in time from Houston and Katy). 
Consider keeping the early start for the cruising class (one hour earlier) or a shorter course, but give the rest of us late guys back something to look forward to!
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Bee

I go with Gerhard.  Sunsets were very nice in the "old" days.

Eric713

You would think the start time was moved up 5 hours.  IT'S...JUST....ONE...HOUR!

Charles

The cleanup crew likes it earlier.  We don't get done till around midnight as it is.   ???
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Greg A Casamayor

Hey Charles - that's a lot of rum drinking and very little cleanup  ;)
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

Eric713

Took the words right out of my mouth Greg..

Osprey

I have to wonder if something needs to be tweaked in the Cruising Class rating system if there are boats that consistently finish very late or not at all.  The handicap system should take care of this by increasing their ratings and moving their start times earlier.  I would rather not start the Cruising Class at a different time than other classes.  I enjoy seeing boats from other classes and wondering who I could have beat, or not, by going PHRF.

WB

Charles

Quote from: Greg A Casamayor on July 14, 2015, 09:49:06 AM
Hey Charles - that's a lot of rum drinking and very little cleanup  ;)

Caught again!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

STuma

So the real question is.... how many more people attended the party with the earlier start time?

Personally, I favor the original start times form the 90's. Finishing at night was always a treat, but I prefer night sailing anyways.

We could have a TGIF that starts at sunset... not sanctioned by GBCA, or any club, just grassroots racing (sailing for my boat). Could run the first one on a full moon, so that no one gets scared...
cheers...
Scott