Harvest Moon PHRF categories?

Started by svShearwater, August 07, 2015, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayesrigging

To clarify it isn't three Bacardi classes.  It is three separate Bacardi fleets.  Bacardi, Bacardi Oakheart and Bacardi Superior.  For some reason LYC doesn't want race boats (sport boats) racing in the racing fleet.  Go figure. 

JayZ

...So what is so wrong with having an over-all Bacardi winnner?  speaking to LYC R.C. - I really think this is something that the club should offer.

Everyone knows that there is a bit of luck in having the right boat (and rating) for the given conditions so I think the competitors can deal with this.  I personally think it is more fun to win the whole thing rather than "GULP" get a participation trophy for your small divison.

As it is, so far, Banjo Girl is a sure bet to get first and last place in the Oakheart fleet...  If only Banjo Girl is sailing in this one I  think we should re-name this the Bacardi Heavy TEAK division.

I'd be happy to race in the cruiser division where the heavy old girl would have relatively similar boats to race against.  However my spinnakers (PHRF Legal) won't measure in.  That said, I'm willing to bet that there are others that will be competing in cruising spinnaker that might not fit the rule as LYC has published in the NOR.

I'm not really complaining just offering my opinon.  I'm happy to just go out and sail down the coast amongst friends and competitors.  Hell, I'd enter if it were called the Harvest Moon Port Aransas Rally.  -I'd still press hard and attempt to get there in time enough to get a good slip and a bloody mary at Virginias.

Cheers,

JZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

cmay

Just an opinion from someone who does not own a boat, but is a crew....

For those of us that have been racing in the area for a bit, and continue to be serious about it, we are really only interested in the cup. If you want to use new trophies to recognize individual fleets, then I don't have a problem with that. However the cup should be an overall fleet trophy, Period. It should (and does) represent the history and legacy of the regatta, and should not exclude any boat in the regatta. Being part of a team that wins that cup is why I choose to participate. Being excluded from the possibility to promote "fairness" doesn't seem right, and in my opinion dilutes the legacy of the regatta and what it represents to those of us who consider it more than a cruise to a party.

There is no perfect rating methodology, and there never will be as there are just too many variables. So pick one and apply it fairly and consistently across the fleet and let the results fall where they may. That's called racing. People will still complain, but no one will ever change that and it does not rationalize the idea of subjectively trying to make a rating system "fair".

My $0.02,

Chris