Harvest Moon cancelled?

Started by svShearwater, October 21, 2015, 03:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svShearwater

Received an email, but nothing on the notice board.  About to head down there.

Very surprised at the call. 
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

Bee

Got a text and an email.  Its canceled.  Probably my last one too.

Lot of preparation an upgrades $$$ for nothing.

SeaGypsy

We called and Lakewood said the race was cancelled because it's gonna rain all weekend in Port A.

CJ
S/V a Sea Gypsy

svShearwater

Guess it really is all about the party...

Fool me once...
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

Christopher

Lakewood Yacht Club

THE 2015 HARVEST MOON REGATTA® RACE SCHEDULED TO BEGIN OCTOBER 22, 2015 HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

Due to serious concerns about the safety of participants and their vessels due to hazardous weather conditions predicted by several weather authorities, Lakewood Yacht Club, as Host, and Bay Access, as Organizer, have decided to cancel the 2015 Harvest Moon Regatta® race.

Information regarding the other events scheduled to occur in Port Aransas as part of the regatta, including the Bacardi Rum Party, BBQ, and raffle events will be forthcoming.

The history and goal of the Harvest Moon Regatta® race is to promote offshore sailing in safe conditions such that the participants, whether seasoned sailing veterans or first time offshore sailors, can enjoy the race and trip down the coast with confidence and safety for all concerned. Race safety is paramount. Though it's possible the weather could moderate during the time the race would have been held, the forecasts indicate the conditions will most likely remain such that race conditions, especially docking and vessel return conditions, will not meet the goals of the race as organized. Therefore, the 2015 Harvest Moon Regatta® race has been cancelled.
Mahalo nui loa

marc

Bee

I saw the 15-20 off wind with a pretty good current should have made for a fast run.  I guess the 6-8' seas with occasional 9's and 10's along with the rain all weekend were the killers.  >:(

Maarten

The most difficult decision to make as skipper is to sail or not to sail. It is even more difficult for the organizers of this prestigious event to reach a decision to not go ahead with the race. In the end someone has to make the call considering many inputs and opinions with 160+ boats and crews having prepared and lived towards this regatta for many weeks if not months.

Let's respect the decision of the organizers and be thankful that safety has been the overriding factor in their final judgement. After this disappointment LYC and Bay Access officials need the support of all experienced off-shore sailors. There is a Dutch saying: "The best skippers stand on-shore" meaning that second guessing and opining after the fact is easy. Let's not do that and support this decision and the committee as goods sportsmen and women.

There will be another Harvest Moon Regatta and we are looking forward to sail when all the conditions are right.

Maarten van Hasselt, Skipper Joan III.

Windward SeaVenture

Due to the unexpected cancellation,  Windward SeaVenture is going to make lemonade out of lemons.  We are inviting all sailors to  an UNOFFICIAL race to sail around the rum race standard course starting 3 hours earlier than the GBCA normal start time.  See this link: https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/regatta_uploads/2575/2015RumRaceSI.pdf This is simply for FUN because we are all here with plans to sail- so lets sail!!  There is no official prize and we will have an UNOFFICIAL dock party BYOB at Waterford Harbor: Pier 3 at the completion of the race. 

Bee

Maarten:  I could not agree more.  Always have to respect the decision of the PRO.

Bee

Hit post before I intended.

In 2006 Stinger won the Heald Bank outright for the first time. We managed to hit our all time top speed of 19.75 (SOG) kts. It was the key race that lead to winning the Texas Navy Trophy for the 1st time.

The next year two 105's entered the Heald; Stinger and Solaris.  At that time Keith Magnussen was sailing with us and he was fairly adamant about not sailing if the forecast was for winds 30 and above.  Well that was the forecast and I reluctantly agreed with him.  Wise man Keith. So even though we did take the HSC down to Galveston, we bailed and did not do the race.  As it turned out, Solaris was the only boat to actually start.  I believe they blew out 3 kites, almost everyone was seasick, and the boat was an on the water bath tub.  Aint fast wet boats fun? The fact that they finished is a testament to how dedicated they were to sailing.  It was the first and last time Solaris did an offshore, but they did hit 22+ knots.

I will always believe that the PRO should have canceled that Heald Bank.  However, it is the skippers decision that controls this.  If the PRO does not cancel and you still run the race its your fault if you have serious damage.

Some of use just might have had serious damage this HMR.  Felt like the same kind of race with winds out of the reverse (S) direction.

Terry Young

Can't ever remember them to cancel a HMR in the last 20 years, I guess they see more than I do, and its better to play it safe than to wish we had, I am sure the death of racers earlier this year in a day race( Dauphin Island Regatta ) plays into this decision. I am sure when it is pouring down rain and we are seating at home nice and dry having a favor drink and watch something good on TV (Maybe the Perfect Storm or Titanic) we will say, good choice! Just my thoughts! 

gwittich

Maarten, very thoughtful comment, thank you.
I was not part of the RC discussions and the Figaro crew was disappointed at the decision not to race.
However, I think this was a wise decision. Apparently, a major factor was the weather forecast beyond the race - affecting the return trip. At this time - Wednesday, 11:00 PM - the Sailflow forecast still shows 25 to 30 knots of wind near Port Aransas on Sunday and Monday morning.
Many skippers, like myself, might have considered leaving the boat down in Port A and bringing her back the following weekend or later. Yet, the City Marina does not have enough slips to accommodate a large fleet, and rafting up for days in strong winds is not a practical solution.
Another interesting point was brought up in a pre-race discussion:
Imagine a decent start in 15 knot winds but an offshore breeze kicking up 13 ft waves. Combine this with a strong outgoing tide in the Aransas jetties and possibly poor visibility due to rain and you might have conditions at the finish that might be challenging even for experienced offshore racers - not to mention some fair weather cruisers.
No Race Committee wants to see boats ending up on jetties or the beach.
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Bee

Looking at all the forecasts this morning, those folk who either sailed or drove down appear to have made the proper decision.  Even the ride back looks to be OK by tomorrow.

shawn

Foul weather training is optional

For years everyone thought I was crazy, I would grab my friends and sail my boat into every storm in the bay for training purposes.  Marilyn got worried about Walter, Ed, and I but we made that decision to do that.  To send people intentionally out as a fleet into questionable weather is a tough call.  Don't think I was not mad and disappointed and so wanted to armchair quarterback and, and, and, but I have calmed down and realized not only did we lose the racers that Terry talked about but we have new boats and new people that I have personally trained and would feel terrible if something happened to them.  I encourage you to train your crews for bad weather first rather than wait for it to come to you.  It has saved my butt several times and the boats that we race now and those that we have brought across the gulf in some very bad stuff.
Shawn
Semi True Story