Status of j80 one design fleet in Galveston Bay.

Started by derklauer, November 25, 2015, 07:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derklauer

Starting the process of looking for a new (used) boat and looking for a sport boat with an OD fleet in the area, the rest of the time will be spent PHRF racing.  I keep coming back to the J80 because the price and size is right.  With the exception of J fest how is the j80 fleet on Galveston bay?  Are there any other recommendations? 

*Wednesday night races are not an option for me.

Bee

The J80 North America's were here at Lakewood Yacht Club Oct 7-15.  Steve Hammerman (Hammertime) took 1st.  Kerry Klingler on Bill Rose's Kicks was 2nd and Forbes Durdin 3rd.  Paul Parson's took 4th.  Steve, Bill, Forbes, and Paul are all local J80 owners and sailors.  They are all good guys and can probably help you a great deal.

The J105 North Americans will be at Lakewood in October of 2017.  The local J105 class, Fleet 17, is an option if you are interested is a bit bigger boat.  You can contact me at bee at panorama tech dot com if you decide to go the J105 route.

On the smaller end the J22 (Anna Lee), J24 (???), and J70 fleets are also a good options.  You can sail the first two every Wednesday night all summer long. The J70 North Americans will be at Lakewood in 2016.  They usually have a fairly strong showing at most of the local W/L regattas during the year.

If I was a bit younger, a lot lighter,  with a lot less arthritis, I would probably go the 70 route. Red hot little boat that is very easy to trailer.  Its easy to participate in lots of events around the country.  Talk to Emmett Dickheiser.

STuma

Bee is right, we have some very good talent in this area. I have raced on the first 80 in the area, owned my own 80 years later, and now race on another 80 locally. I fully understand about price and size. I have sailed the 80 in some conditions many boats cannot handle, and I have always felt very comfortable. If you PM me, I can give you more details about the boat and can arrange a test sail if you like.

You may talk to Paul Parsons, I know his 80 is/was for sale.

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

chris

I owned two different 80's several years back and agree it is a great boat for the bay.  Stands up to conditions you might not want to experience on other boats.  Great daysailor/teaching boat/booze cruiser too.  Sadly, the local fleet is in a bit of a decline and struggles to get a solid turnout at all but the biggest regattas.  Oftentime it only takes a few "spark plug" owners to turn things around....

B Sailing/Alan Bates

The J/80 fleet is in a rebuild phase and there is a good one for sale at Seabrook Shipyard and two for sale at Lakewood.  I can help you decide, I am the local J/Boats Southwest broker  www.bsailing.com owner.  J/80 is a solid platform in PHRF Rum races and such, and we can get 4-5 local boats out racing OD.

We can get a sail on one if you like---need to schedule--so give a call...Alan Bates  281.212.7348
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.