2015 Icicle Races

Started by Bob H, December 18, 2015, 10:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob H

Here we are, in SE Texas, and the Sailboat racing continues!
The 2016 Icicle Races, sponsored by Cruzan Rum are starting in January!
Please thank Cruzan for again sponsoring the races!

This will serve as a virtual Skippers' meeting.

The Sailing Instructions are posted here:
http://gbca.memberlodge.org/resources/Documents/2016%20Icicle%20Series%20Sailing%20Instructions.pdf

Changes from last year are noted as Red text in the SI's. The most significant changes or things to be reminded of are below:

1. The instructions about luffing other boats ARE GONE. The normal 2016 RRS apply here.
Play nicely with each other, don't force anyone into a steel and concrete range mark and don't hit anyone, (or anyone's boat.)

2. We're subdividing the spinnaker sprit class: Spinnaker Factory Sprit and Spinnaker Aftermarket Sprit. It's spelled out in the SI's. The three Spin fleets will have three separate flags. This is an experiment. If you own a aftermarket Sprit boat, please get your fellow sailors to come out so we know there's interest. If there isn't enough interest, we may be obliged to go back to the 2015 divisions for the Rum races this summer.

3. If any mark has gone missing, yachts will round the coordinates given in the SI's. (Take a picture of the mark wreckage and the ship that did it, too!)

4. We've clarified the fleets that use PHRF ratings and those that use the club handicap. Note that GBCA does not administer PHRF ratings. If you want to sail in the PHRF fleet, you need to get a rating from the good folks at PHRF-GB. Please go to www.PHRFGB.com

5. The purpose of the GBCA Club Handicap is to give cruisers and less experienced racers a fleet to sail in. The GBCA club handicap is not a PHRF rating, although it is applied in the same fashion. Don't confuse the two. If your Club rating drops below your PHRF rating, then congratulations; it's probably a good indication you should change to a PHRF fleet. If you are one of our well known racers and want to sail in the Club handicap, The GBCA board may assign you a lower handicap than the PHRF rating for your boat.

It is VERY important for club handicap racers that you to provide the time for your finish to us so we can adjust the ratings.  We will try to make the ratings change a little more than they did in 2015. Your Fleet Captain was a little too conservative and will try to do a better job this year.

6. All boats must fly a flag during the entire race. Please fly it prominently!

7. If you are the first boat, or think you are, please provide the next four boats to finish behind you so that we can score the races. There is a form attached to the SI's that should work for this purpose. Please write legibly. If you can't make the after race party, you can e-mail the results, or send them via text message to the Fleet Captain: 281-216-4082 rdhunkins(at)Verizon(dot)net. Please do this as soon as possible so we can award the prizes.

8. The Last Icicle Race is the Judge Smails Memorial Regatta - Get out your blue coats, White duck trousers, ascots and Captain's Hats!. Gophers and golfing equipment are optional. A prize will be awarded to the boat with the best crew decked out in this garb.

We're looking forward to seeing you all out there!

-Bob Hunkins, 2016 Fleet Captain

Bee

So I paid my $40 for a 2016 PHRF certificate.  How long does it take to be able to see it on the PHRFGB site?

Charles

Quote from: Bee on December 18, 2015, 12:47:59 PM
So I paid my $40 for a 2016 PHRF certificate.  How long does it take to be able to see it on the PHRFGB site?

I downloaded mine about two weeks ago
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

So where do I get a pink flag?

Veljko

Hortonmar

GBCA has all color flags.  White, black, yellow, pink, and orange for sale.  I will post days and times I will be at the club house so you may drop by and get them.  You can always email me and make arrangements to pick one up.

Marilyn
mh3839@gmail.com

Charles

Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

I have been visited by the breast cancer fairy.  She has arranged for a hot pink flag.

Actually, a good friend has offered to make one for me.

Deckhand

Heck, I was waiting for that pink thong and Charles wearing at the party afterwards :o
GBCA Commodore 2014

Charles

Quote from: Deckhand on December 25, 2015, 07:20:21 AM
Heck, I was waiting for that pink thong and Charles wearing at the party afterwards :o

That could be arranged!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

shawn

Shawn
Semi True Story

Bee

Hmm.  Thats a really good idea. Charles in a pink thong would be quite the thing. With a similar bra we could rename him, oh I don't know, Caitlin?

Deckhand

Becky's photos from Cruzan Rum Icicle #1. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/albums/72157662400150119 With close to 50 boats out, it was a fine day on the bay as well as a fine party afterwards. Thanks Commodore Marilyn for the fixin's!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Bob H

Preliminary Results  for race 1 are posted:
http://gbca.memberlodge.org/resources/Documents/2016%20Icicle%20Series%20Results.pdf
Cruising club times for race 1 are available:
http://gbca.memberlodge.org/resources/Documents/2016Icicle1Cruisingclasstimes.pdf

If there's an error please let me know ASAP so I can correct it. (Send me an E-mail or text)
-Bob H.

Terry Young

Its nice to see the finish times, it helps captain improve there skills, and think were to focuses there efforts, and give hope to being the leader. Well done Bob!! The club class has always been fun and I believe this will make it more fun. Go Captain Ron, you can DO IT!! :-)