Sailing Neophyte

Started by Ewald, January 31, 2016, 10:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewald

I know nothing of sailing. My daydream tells me that coastal sailing and an occasional blue water passage would be exciting; but before I invest a huge amount of dreams, time, effort, and money and discover it's not for me, I'd like to stick a toe in the water and see what I think. I'm currently churning my way through The Voyager's Handbook and whatever blogs my random google searches turn up. If you're familiar with Beth Leonard's approach in the book, my intention is between the Simplicity and Moderation lifestyles and closer to a single-handed Simplicity one.

Is there someone that runs or knows of a liveaboard sailboat, with a patient, teaching spirit, that would be willing to be chartered for a few days and two nights? Hopefully this is an appropriate place for the question.  ???

A few more random details:

• I'd be driving from the northwest area of Arkansas
  • My wife and kids will stay at home while I spend some vacation on this excursion
  • I plan on staying in a hotel the night before sailing and probably after sailing before driving home
  • I'm more introverted than extroverted
  • I don't drink or smoke. I'm fine with others that do; but prefer smokers stay downwind.  :-\
  • A timeline isn't established; but, I'd prefer within the next few months versus later in the year
Thank you for your attention. Any advice or guidance is welcomed. Feel free to redirect me to a more appropriate area too if it's warranted.

ShakenNotStirred

Despite the "Cruising" in its name, GBCA is more about racing sailboats, and day racing at that.  Years ago the cruising interests split off and formed the Texas Mariners Cruising Association.  They do a lot of overnight excursions, etc.  Great folks.
Check them out  at http://www.texasmariners.com/
2013 Commodore

Ewald

Much appreciated. My google-fu was not strong enough to discover them directly. Thanks for the guidance!

PrisSail

Howdy Ewald,

"ShakenNotStirred" is exactly what TMCA is about - a misnomer if there ever was one - it should be TMPA, the Texas Mariners Partiers Association.  But just like GBCA, they don't/can't change their name because the Government Loves Us So Much, e$pecially our money.

Send me a PM and I'll get you on a comfy beam reach.

Kindest regards,

Miss Pris
The right of way goes to the vessel with the least competent crew.