Level 120 for HOOD

Started by STuma, May 04, 2016, 01:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

Who's interested in a Level 120 class for HOOD?

In the past, boats that rate between 120 and 130 would forego their handicap and race heads-up. The last time I raced Level 120, we win in the Soverel 27.
cheers...
Scott

Bee

Years ago, I sailed my 3030 in a level PHRF fleet.  What I remember is that the class was defined by base PHRF +- 9sec/mi.  In that case a level 126 would have been boats with handicaps in the 117 to 135 range.  What I remember is that most of the lower PHRF numbers did the best, but I don't have a clue as to how we did.  Hell I don't even remember what SeaBee's PHRF number was. 

I do think this is a good idea.  In my opinion anything to get more of the older designs out in W/L racing is good.  I still miss those days when the RC split the entrants into at least two separate classes.  More boats is definitely better then less.

STuma

Bee, you're right... it was the "good ole days" with over a hundred boats to divide fleets. R/C now has a very difficult job of dividing fleets. You can have 6 boats that rate from 30 to 200. Many of the Level classes were defined by who ram-rodded the class. We had Level 70, Level 80, Level 90, Level 100, Level 120 I think a Level 140. Each of these set up a set of class rules. Maybe, with the thin fleets and "hatred" of handicap racing, it is time to reinstate Level classes?

My thought of the Level 120 class would include the J-80, J-27, Soverel 27, Impulse 26...
cheers...
Scott