things that go bump

Started by shawn, August 29, 2016, 07:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn

We found something and I have the exact coordinates because I was holding my GPS at the time.
N 29 deg 34.012'
W 94 deg 56.110'

Approx 5.46 miles out from Landry on 075 heading

If you have anything else the we can punch in to my GPS and not find them please post here.

It stopped the boat we were doing seven knots felt like a pipe kinda rolled over it and off we went.
Thanks
Shawn
Shawn
Semi True Story

Terry Young

Is the boat ok? Could you of hit the bent pipe(also known as" BENDY SH$T") from one of the old rigs we use to race around?

shawn

It pulls up in a another program as platform wreckage stuff but was not in my New GPS (navatronics?)
Old waypoints loaded in new GPS

Bendy shit is another waypoint
Boat is going for quick haul
I searched for the map on the web page we used to have with stuff on it. But to know a Vail.
Shawn
Semi True Story

Bee

I plugged your "bump" into my chart plotter here at home.  There are some pipes nearby so its likely that is what you hit.

Thanks for postings. 

Whatever you hit is very near to the path from M42 to E and therefore part of the Rum Race Series races.

Bee

Actually there is a submerged platform there.  Its an older chart but I will be some of that junk is still there.

shawn

It was the second leg of the Rum Race when we hit it.  I was on another boat.
That's why I posted it for the other racers to load in their GPS
We are heading through there at least one more time this year.
Kris M is going to investigate further with a boat.
Shawn
Semi True Story

Bee

Yep.  The blue dotted line in my graphic is the rhumb line between M52 and E.

Tye Dyed Gary

You are describing the platform with three gas well heads we called mark "G". It was removed a year and a half ago. But, like all the well heads, there is always something left behind. The old pipe to it was probably pulled / dug up be shrimper's nets dragging the bottom.
  If you are interested here are two more abandoned sites that could cause a bump. Mark "Y" (2 well heads) 29-33' 18.52 N 94-57' 37.63 W. and Mark "R" (manual shutoff valve) 29-34' 41.0 N 94-58' 28.0W 
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

shawn

thanks
that is the response I was looking for
Shawn
Semi True Story

Osprey

I have updated the GBCA Obstructions map to show this bump.  There are three recent bumps and I have marked these with exclamation points.  I also updated the map to show the Rum and Icicle courses.

http://www.gbca.org/ObstructionMap

shawn

I was looking for that map I did not see it from the home page.
Thanks
Shawn
Semi True Story

shawn

bump again on the way to redfish.

I had loaded My GPS with the updated chart but my handheld batteries died shortly after loading.  So I will get this new bump off of Toms Boat and compare the coordinates to the ones already reported.  We were about a mile out from redfish when we hit something.  It did not stop the boat but it was a solid hit.  I normally have a backup set of AA in my case but to no avail.

There was an abandoned rig on the chart close by, but not immediate area.
Shawn
Semi True Story