Icicle Series Standings

Started by Hamburger, January 16, 2017, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Yes I know the understood size of the max kite for a 109 is 121 m2, but it is also possible to make a similar size kite for a 105.
As I said in my earlier post, the only place I know of that flies a super jumbo is San Diego. I have never had one but except for
the potential to break the mast, it is possible to fly a super jumbo (from the mast head if desired) on Stinger.

My code 0 satisfies the criteria you list below.  That is why I did not take an ORC hit for it.  All of the numbers for
every sail I currently use are listed on my ORC cert.  I was the only 105 that registered her jumbo, but I never
used it.  Had I been able to the results in the HMR might have been different. BTW, there were 3
105's in the top five and one won the Bacardi Cup, one was 3rd and Stinger was 5th.  I suspect that if John had not
had a problem John Bell's 105 would also have been in the top 5.

When Brian Uffelmann owned Vici, he had Pedro cut his code 0 down.  Ostensibly because he thought
the kite would generate so much power it would break his sprit. I thought it was because he wanted to
run it like a genoa on steroids but he is no longer here to defend himself, and as I recall he never used it
like that.  Barnett had to add a panel to it to make it into an ORC spinnaker.

The J105 class rules for spins are as follows:
6.6.1 The spinnaker shall be manufactured from woven ply consisting of nylon. The ply weight of the
body of the sail shall be not less than 44 g/m2.
6.6.2 The area of the sail ("SA") shall not exceed 89 m2 based on the following formula:
SA = [(luff length + leech length) * .25 * foot length] + [(half width – .5 * foot length) * (leech length + luff length)] ÷ 3 where luff length shall not be greater than 15,100 mm nor less than 13,600 mm, leech length shall not be greater than 12,140 mm and half width shall not be less than .65 * foot length.
6.6.3 Adjustable leech, luff and foot lines shall be fitted.
There are similar restrictions on mainsails and jibs.  The J105 class uses a tag system on all class sails.
Sailmakers are responsible for the truthfulness of those tags, but almost every J105 class event has
some form of measurement  requirement. 

Its worth noting that my code zero is not made out of nylon so it cannot be used as a J105 class spinnaker.

Not sure if I can be of any help with regard to any of this, but if you wanna talk, that can be arranged. I am
a firm believer in the ORC scheme, but I don't recall having to do much more then provide my sail measurements.

From my perspective, I have no problem with measuring sails prior to any given regatta.  I do realize
that cheating is possible and it would be nice to find a way to avoid that but I would rather believe
in the integrity of the fella I am sailing against.  Cheaters will eventually be caught.

Quote from: STuma on January 18, 2017, 10:41:01 AM

the understood square footage for the 109 is 121 sq. meters.

For the Code 0s, I have my suspicion of some sails not fitting the rule. I grew up designing, building, and testing screachers for multihulls... I know exactly what the difference is and the benefit of a screacher over a true code 0. I think some people are mistaken that a Code 0 on a Volvo boat is the same as a Code 0 PHRF allows. The girth requirement is very specific:
'10.18 Asymmetric Spinnakers.
To be classified as an asymmetric spinnaker a sail must meet the following criteria:
10.18.1 The luff shall be at least 5 percent longer than the leech (see 10.21).
10.18.2 The mid girth (see 10.23) shall not be less than 75 percent of the foot length (see 10.22). ' via 2017 ORR Rulebook.