Icicle Series #3 Spin Non-Sprit Results

Started by DarinK, January 24, 2017, 01:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarinK

We have changed the results for Icicle Series #3 Spin Non-Sprit.  I just wanted to let everyone know what happened, but in the end, Fleet Captain and Former Fleet Captain both agree on the updated results.

Blue Freers finished first and did not present any results.

Southern Cross finished second, uploaded their results, including boat ahead and boat behind.  They then came to the club and present acting Fleet Officer (myself) with the finish times of the first few boats, though at no time presented themselves as first place.  They also did not submit the results in paper.  They did show me finish times for all the boats in the area, including boats in their class which finished after them.

Fast forward an hour and 4 additional class submissions and a number of position changes after the fact, Southern Bell submits written results for Spin Non-Sprit.  He has crossed third in his class, but first to submit written results.  There are a number of changes to these results after the fact, but Southern Cross is not included in these results.

It is time to start closing the party down, so I announce results, using the results submitted by Southern Belle.

We believe that not giving first place to Southern Cross would be unfair.  They did their best to submit results, and had I been more aware of the situation, they could have easily presented in paper the correct results.

Last, this is the chaos of scoring results using paper and the current SIs.  Had everyone uploaded results, this would have been a non-issue.  I'm not saying there aren't other problems with the electronic system, but this mess would be avoided.

gwittich

Darin, online scoring is clearly the way to go.
(I assume the Rum Race SI's will be updated accordingly.)
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

DarinK

Thank you for the feedback.  Here's hoping everyone is comfortable with the change.

korff98

Darin

I don't believe your interpretation is in line with the Sailing Instructions. As written,   "to score first place, a yacht must both cross the finish line first and record the next four finishers."  Did Southern Cross stay at the finish line and record the finishes?   If they did, then you should score them. But if they went home and ignored the responsibility, then the first boat that does finish and record scores is first.

Please remain consistent with the SIs.   If you are going to Chuck boats in the first race due to a time limit in the SIs,  then keep following the SIs till you post an ammendment.

JayZ

TLE vs a change in how finished are recorded are kind of different...

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL