Using RaceQs

Started by Dan, January 29, 2017, 10:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have been using RaceQs for 2 years. I recommend it to all. It has been great as a post-race debrief the next day. You can see what really happened, how fast you were going and when, heading, if you are closing or losing to another boat, etc. It has been good for sharing information with the rest of the crew.

It is so easy to use; just download the app and go. When you finish the race, you can give it permission to upload to your desktop. Like the rum, it is free.

You can also set up the marks of the race that was sailed and this is displayed with the tracks. With the mark information, it calculates time, avg speed, etc. for each leg of the course. The best part about this feature is that the course only has to be set up once, by one person, and it will show up in everyone's race replay.

IF GBCA is planning to use RaceQs for Rum and other races, I would Highly Recommend GBCA designate one person and only one person to manage the virtual course feature. It will make race data and individual boat data very user friendly.

DarinK

Hi Dan,

It will never be required.  It will be highly suggested for the Rum Race.

I agree with that, but there is a slight limitation.  You can modify the course only if you recorded your gps at that time and at that location.  So, it would need to be a competitor.  That person would need to race every week, be able to make the changes properly, and last, be able to do it before anyone else, preferably before the awards.

I think it may be difficult to get someone consistently.  I will, however, do my best to grab the first competitor who used RaceQs at the clubhouse, and have them log in, and do it for them, like I did last week.

Also, I am going to ask RaceQs if we can have the course preset.  They likely won't go for it, but we do now have someone in the club who is a friend of the creator, so maybe.  Roscoe, if you are out there.. msg me!

STuma

I have used RaceQs for a while... not sure how long. For those who are competitive about improving their racing, it's great. you can compare stats against another boat - compare heel, pitch, roll, vmg, angle, etc... You can really tell if heeling 5 more degrees is faster or not. Or, you can just have fun with it and watch how badly you drove that second leg..... Or your max speed on a certain run...
cheers...
Scott

BrianL

I've been using it awhile now. and it is helping me to learn a few things. Like out on the bay my tacks are about 110 degrees. but if I work on it I can get them down to 100. on the lake they are between 90 and 100. I don't know if I can do any better than that. Also if you can make notes, either mental or otherwise, you can see when your adjustments improve your results.  Also it show you how well you are steering.