GBCA Junior Skipper Regatta

Started by STuma, May 01, 2018, 09:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

It is time for Galveston Bay's ONLY junior keelboat regatta; GBCA Jr. Skipper Regatta.

Event information is located here: http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/16118

We have several junior programs and some very talented kids; it's time to let them shine on a big boat. This regatta is perfect to get the kids introduced to the next step; keelboats.

We have changed the format this year to run the Jr. Skipper parallel to our Rum Race #5 on July 28th. The Jr. class will be a seperate class  among the fleet.
cheers...
Scott

ShakenNotStirred

A few questions...

• Why is there an entry fee for what is essentially a free rum race?
  • How can a junior get the $5 discount when GBCA membership requires that you be over 18?
  • What is mark 'T'?
  • Competitor's briefing June 15? 2013?
;)
2013 Commodore

STuma

Quote from: ShakenNotStirred on May 02, 2018, 03:23:09 PM
A few questions...

• Why is there an entry fee for what is essentially a free rum race?
  • How can a junior get the $5 discount when GBCA membership requires that you be over 18?
  • What is mark 'T'?
  • Competitor's briefing June 15? 2013?
;)

1. This is a seperate regatta that is using the Rum Race course. Legally, we cannot offer someone under the age of 18 the liquid trophies offered for Rum Race winners.
2. A junior can be a crew member. The GBCA discount is to add a benefit for being a GBCA member. This is an effort to build membership and provide a value.
3. Mark "T" is described in the Rum Race Sailing Instructions and will be described in the seperate Sailing Instructions for the Junior Regatta. And, it is as i have described previously in the post stating that I am rotating the course 30 degrees to the right.
4. Obviously a common sense mistake. Which reminds me, I'm going to move the Skipper meeting to later in the day.

Thank you very much for the questions and we look forward to seeing you out there....

cheers...
Scott