GBCA Junior Skipper Regatta

Started by STuma, June 27, 2018, 10:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

Time to get the kids out on the keelboat and let them play in the "big league".

GBCA's Jr. Regatta will be July 28th; parallel to Rum Race #5. There will be an entry fee for the Jr Regatta because it is a separate event with specific trophies to be awarded at the after party.

https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=16118

cheers...
Scott

JayZ

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

STuma

cheers...
Scott

Bee

What flag will these guys be flying?

STuma

cheers...
Scott

Bee

OK, I am getting to damn old for this.  I read that thing at least 3 times and never saw it.  Thanks.

STuma

Quote from: Bee on July 03, 2018, 04:05:39 PM
OK, I am getting to damn old for this.  I read that thing at least 3 times and never saw it.  Thanks.

ironic that the "old guy" was having difficulty reading a detail for the Jr. Skipper race.... :-)
cheers...
Scott

STuma

alright, we catered to the request to move the Jr. Skipper regatta because of another youth event...... Where are all the junior racers? Where are ALL these kids racing at HYC, LYC, TCYC???? We need the coaches to help encourage these kids for the next step of racing....
cheers...
Scott

STuma

Junior Skippers is this weekend... This is the opportunity for sailors under 18 to drive a keelboat.  Very simple format, Rum Race course. Get the opportunity to pace with the best of Galveston Bay while racing in your own class.

Register at: https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=16118

cheers...
Scott

JayZ

I think I've got the boat ready to enter I suppose but there is only one other boat... 

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

STuma

Quote from: JayZ on July 27, 2018, 06:20:22 PM
I think I've got the boat ready to enter I suppose but there is only one other boat...

Should have entered... I heard this from 2 or 3 other people.  We can refund entries if classes do not form, or something comes up. But, if boats don't enter, others will watch the entry list and say the same thing.

I am not meaning to aim this at Jay, but we see this with every regatta.  Being behind the scenes, we ask people to enter if you are considering doing the event. You can always get a refund if you need to cancel before the deadline. When people are trolling the entry list and see a large class formed, they tend to follow suit and many times will enter also. When people look at entries (or are asked "... have you seen how many J-22's are racing this weekend?") they are usually more willing to also enter if there is a large number of boats racing.  It sounds silly, but it really is.

I mentioned this earlier this year that entries are going to be low this year, and probably for a couple of years. We have seen that with the regattas this year (I know of one that had a high turn out). It does help if we (race management) know why boats are not coming out. Anyone can send me a message to tell why they are not able to race. We might be able to help get ya out.

For Jr. Skipper, we will discuss if we want to do this format again, or something different. My kids had a blast having me crew for them the whole regatta. My youngest (who has never driven before), started the race and drove 3/4 up the windward leg, until she got bored. The oldest jumped in and did a fantastic job finishing the upwind, downwind and the reach leg. The other two helped rig up a barber hauler and I was able to show them the benefit.
cheers...
Scott