J80 North Americans - 2009

Started by ChrisK, October 23, 2009, 05:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

37 boats so far. Some of the best in the world are here!
Should be some great racing and great weather this weekend along with the Ballunar Festival
The fun starts today!
8)
Past Commodore, 2010

chris

I think the correct number is 26. 

ChrisK

26 is correct. Typo.
A nice sized fleet.
Some of the best racing I've seen.

Wind was excellent at about 300 all day, as high as 315 (early) with clicks down to 270 but it would come right back to 295-300 in short order, at least where we we're.
Velocity 12 knots and up. In fact, it built right back up to 15 plus the last race.
Weather was just about the best I've seen here all year.
Being Friday, not alot of boat traffic, so the J80s owned the bay. Clear skies, chamber weather. Life is good.

On the RC weather boat it was never a dull moment.
Lots of wind shots, anchor pulling, wresting big tets, hop alongs, mud, chain, shotgun blasts and finish whistles are still ringing in my head.
I'm pleased to report that Marc and the gang (many of which are GBCArs) are running a tight ship.
Few protests flying, race 1 had one flag, race 2 had 4-5, race 3 was clean with no laundry that I could see.
One general recall, which you would expect at this level of competition.
Amazingly, no protests at the end of the evening, so everyone could enjoy the party.
;D

Bow 2 Uzi/Hinrichson had an awesome 3rd race. Rounding the weather mark in the lead for two of the three weather legs. Klingler on Bow 1 caught them in the end.  "Kicks" showed huge improvement the 3rd race with a 6th.  Parsons moving up.  Cluster looking fast.  Forbes, Kaos, Painkiller in there too. Generally speaking, the local boats/talent you see on Wednesday Nights are stirring it up, moving up the ranks.  

If you get a chance, go out and spectate this weekend, do it!  Good stuff.
8)

The event is off to a great start
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Day 2: Delay until 1300...looking for wind
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Photo of weather mark rounding on Sunday. Looked like some great racing down there.
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Link to aerial pics taken this morning.
http://picasaweb.google.com/chrisktx/2009J80NorthAmericansFromTheAir?feat=directlink#
Let me know if you want a particular picture.
What a great few days of racing in H-town.
Wind, moderate temps, chamber weather, straight up great racing!
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

Who needs Boat Pix when we have Chris!!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Reporting from the back of the back ???--Whiskey Tango's--best finish was 8th in the lightest air.  The highlight was out pointing Jay Lutz with speed and rolling him to leeward, forcing him to tack away.  We had a funny little exchange.
Alan:  Hi Jay, I don't get to look into your eyes too often.
Jay:  You guys are going well.   
Alan:  I took a  bunch off the shrouds, we are sailing at 12 on the uppers. 
(sailing on by to leeward and closing guage)
Jay:  Seems to be  a good setting.  You need to go bow down, and get some speed.
Alan:  I think we are just out pointing you.
After another minute, he tacked away--we met once more and were still in touch, the next time we met he was 8 boat lengths ahead.
It was fun while it lasted.

Serious good fun, always rounding in a pack, one small tap while spinning 4 deep around the bottom mark. There just is not enough room sometimes.

One year to prep for the 2010 Worlds in Newport. 
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

gwittich

Additional pictures can be found at http://gallery.me.com/gwittich/100062

It has been a privilege to work with this race committee. Special thanks to the pin boat crew (Dave and Brian).

GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Keith

Fun time, check out www.sailinganarhy.com for a little report.  Thanks for the Ariel shot Chris, you might like the report also.

B Sailing/Alan Bates

Nice write up--but missing Team Kicks as the Corinthian Trophy winners
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.