AJ Taylor

Started by dc1sail, February 17, 2019, 06:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc1sail

Our friend and longtime crew member AJ Taylor passed away last night at his home in the Woodlands.  AJ is survived by his daughters Jordan, Morgan and Corbin and two grandchildren Joshua and Oliver (with another about to arrive).

AJ was diagnosed with a brain tumor in the late spring of 2017. 

AJ was a great sailor and loved both sailing and racing.  He practically grew up sailing in Detroit, his family of five would anchor out on a Ranger 22 !!   He was adept at every job on the boat – fore deck (he was a certified member of the Fore deck Union - "just shut up and drive"), trimming, driving, strategy and tactics.

I have many great memories of AJ, his love of Sponge Bob Square Pants (resulting in making Sponge Bob our boat's mascot), his fear of bananas on the boat, his love of the Sydney Hobart race (he watched the start each year), sitting on Airborne's transom after a day's racing dragging his feet in the water, drinking a Heineken, seeming lost in thought.

My favorite memory is watching him trying to keep his then 2 year old grandson Joshua from jumping off Airborne's bow on a family cruise and the obvious pleasure he experienced sailing with the toddler.

We will miss him. 

Funeral arrangements TBD

Dave Christensen
Skipper
S/V Airborne

Bee

RIP A. J.

I agree AJ was a fabulous sailor.  Great at calling lay lines and doing just about everything else onboard.  It was a pleasure to sail with him.

He will be missed and very fondly remembered.

Tye Dyed Gary

I will miss him. It was always fun yelling at each other pre-start, and sharing a rum drink back at the dock.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

dc1sail

There will be a Celebration of Life Gathering of AJ's friends at the GBCA club house Sunday afternoon 3 March from 2-4pm.   AJ's daughters will be there; this is a good time for stories and memories of our friend.  Sponge Bob will be there.  Refreshments of some type will be available (Heineken?  ), along with photos on the big screen TV. We will send him off with the traditional 8 bells ceremony.

PLEASE RSVP to Jordan so we know how many are coming !  Jordan.taylor1@yahoo.com  or text her at: 832-729-2673

A special thanks to the GBCA BOD for allowing AJ's family, friends and crew mates to gather at the clubhouse.

Dave Christensen
Skipper
S/V Airborne