Texas Challenge Cup Rules/Format

Started by Jim Powers, November 03, 2009, 03:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Powers

Hamburger

These rules seem to be different from the ones we used to sail by. Specifically, I remember that it was acceptable to have one non-club member on board. This was NOT dependent on whether the boat was borrowed or not. Since we're all a bit under time pressure here, I propose to maintain that old rule. A quick response would be really nice!

Al

Kaos

Al,

Uzi and I are sailing the 80 for LYC team and we have one non member(sailing coach from HYC) sailing with us. The other 3 of us are members at LYC. I don't see the problem if a single non member is racing aboard the boats, it actually allows a member of another club to pick a ride up to race with someone else.

Robert McMahan
LYC

racinbill

Doesn't seem like a true yacht club challenge if some teams are purposely using non-club members.
Quote from the Deed of Gift:

Paragraph V. Racing Format
Any boat entered by a club shall be skippered and crewed only by members or that club, subject to exceptions on a year by year basis as may be decided by the Race Committee. The Race Committee shall establish proof of membership of all sailors. The penalty for violation of this provision shall be disqualification from the Regatta........

Billy

BJSailor

Sounds pretty clear...
Eligibility ? each participant must be a bona fide member of the Club he/she is competing for, except that for borrowed boats, the owner or his representative may be permitted on a boat, but may not helm the boat while racing.  In addition, a non-member may be crew on a borrowed PHRF boat, but may not helm the boat while racing.

PHRF boat (borrowed boat) - Owner or owner rep permitted.  Additional non-member permitted.  Neither can drive.
PHRF boat (not borrowed) - No non-member permitted.  All crew must be members.
J/80 or Sonar (borrowed boat - Owner or owner rep permitted.  Can't drive.  No additional non-member.
J/80 or Sonar (not borrowed) - No non-member aboard.

The only boat a non-member can sail on is a borrowed PHRF boat.  If the PHRF boat is sailed by the owner (or his rep), no additional non-member can crew - it must be staffed by an all member crew.  J/80s and Sonars don't get a non-member unless that non-member is the boat owner or their rep.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bill Rose

Robert...

May want to read SI's carefully.  Unless HYC sailing coach owns Infinty now there maybe a conflict.   Do you know the J-80's comming out???

Hamburger

I agree that there is no ambiguity in the instructions. But I disagree with the way the new rules have been set up. In a borrowed boat you can have two non-members (one being the owner), in a non-borrowed boat none? That makes no sense to me. However, if that's what everybody agrees to, I'll shut up. But not not this year, when the information was published a few days before the regatta. From the various chatter going on, I'm not the only one expecting that the non-member rule would be the same as in previous years. By the time the rule was published we had to have our crews pretty much in place, and there are quite a few from several clubs with an 'alien' on board.

I'm lobbying for having a bit more discussion among the participants before we change from what we've done for quite a few years. In the meantime, for this year let's allow one non-member on each boat, period.

Al

Bill Rose

There are a few changes then, last year two helmsmen from a yacht club were required to drive at least 2 races minimum.   I agree with the crew being club members unless borrowed boats.  One highly skilled sailor can have a huge impact on the results of one team.  So are we measuring the skills of a yacht club's sailors /talent or the abililby for the club to bring in outside skills??  Number of drivers doesn't matter to me as long as the drivers are members of the club.

hayesrigging

I guess you could make the argument that eventhough the owner is on board it is still a borrowed boat, correct??  This is a yacht club challenge and each club is responsible for fielding a team not the individual boat. 

I am not sure what the sequence of events that lead up to this years rules but in the past the 4 yacht clubs would have a meeting a few months before the regatta and the host yacht club would run the meeting and ultimately decide the rules but the other clubs had input and new the rules well before the regatta started. 

I agree one non member should be allowed on each boat regardless if it is a borrowed boat or not.

My two cents....

Kevin

Hamburger

If we're saying that a single crew member can have a huge impact, I'm even more against allowing two non-members on borrowed boats. How about requiring the lone non-member to be a Catergory 1, as a compromise?

The issue with the non-members is for us primarily the fact that this was published so late, that we had to make our crew selections beforehand, and that it is not reasonable to expect that we un-invite anybody and scrounge around for somebody who didn't have anything else planned for the weekend just ahead. If we want to got the route proposed now, I'm good with that, but let's start that with some advance warning, i.e., next year.

Al

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: Kaos on November 04, 2009, 04:43:42 PM
Al,

Uzi and I are sailing the 80 for LYC team and we have one non member(sailing coach from HYC) sailing with us. The other 3 of us are members at LYC. I don't see the problem if a single non member is racing aboard the boats, it actually allows a member of another club to pick a ride up to race with someone else.

Robert McMahan
LYC
The sailing coach from..... HYC???!!!!  Oh Uzi   Uzi   Uzi   ........    ::)
2013 Commodore

Kaos

Scared?????????????????...... Or upset that we took one of Cluster's play callers from the North Americans to join Team LYC for the weekend!!!!

Bill Rose

Kaos will be present on Infinty without, GBCA member, Dave behind the tiller !!!!!