GBCA Cruising Class

Started by Kevin Box, November 22, 2009, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris P

Kevin-
Is this gonna start with the Icicle series?
CP

Kevin Box

Yes sir.  The Icicle SI contains some special instructions for participating:

http://www.gbca.org/isinst.html

Chris P

Great! We're there. We'll be sailing non-spin this time; Non-spin PHRF 102. How does being a novice big boat racer with, bride, 4 young kids, kayak, dinghy, dinghy motor, opti, HVAC, and more gear than I can haul in my truck effect the rating? .... Are there points for bravery?
CP

Chris P

Kevin-
Never mind - just re-read your initial post.
Sounds better all the time!See you there.
CP

captROB

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.  Kevin, please put the "Wandering Star" in for the cruising class.  Hunter 38 (2005) and the PHRF is 140.  To all you Hunter 38's out there ( I know that there are at least 3 and maybe 4 other 38's of the same vintage)  If we would all race, we could have a one design of our own.  Come on out, get on board.  It will be fun.  I have been slugging it out for about 5 years now on the Wandering Star.  Won the non-spin Frostbite back a few years ago.  Bad weather forced out the competition on the first day and they couldn't recover.  I like racing, but I am way tired of just subsidizing the GBCA race funds (I do drink my share of the rum after the races however).  This cruising class with "stuff" is going to be fun.  See you all on the water.

Kevin Box

Here are the boats that are signed-up so far:

Shaken Not Stirred
ChrisP (need boat name)
Yippee HiHo
Wandering Star
Figaro
Stellar of Course
Reflection
Lil Bit a Sol

Please send me a personal message through this site per the SI to join this experiment ;D

gwittich

Kevin, per SI, here is my contact info:

(713) 854-6240
gwittich@aol.com

Gerhard Wittich
"Figaro", a short mast cruising version of a Contessa 35/OOD 34
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Bee

Looks like an interesting new fleet.  Hopefully this bunch will grow and propser.

Kevin Box

We had a great turnout for the GBCA Club Handicap Class.  Results were:

1.   Lil Bit ol Sol
2.   Shaken-not-Stirred
3.   Makani Kai
4.   Figaro
5.   Stellar of Course

I?ve created a sign-up form available from our homepage on Regatta Network.  http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html  

Please register there, even if you have previously given us your information.  It is free, and it will allow us to blast e-mails to all the class members with the latest info.  It will also give you a chance to correct my spelling of your boat name or other details that may have been lost during the after-party?

If you raced today and weren?t on the list of registered boats or have not reported your finish time, be sure to avail yourself of this avenue.  This is your class.  Have fun!

Fair winds,

Kevin

Kevin Box

Here are the rating results from the GBCA ?supercomputer? for Icicle Series race number one:  
Boat              Race 1 Rating   New Rating

Lil Bit a Sol               187   167
Shaken Not Stirred     93      88
Makani Kai               126    124
Figaro                    153     151
Katana                   175     173
Stellar of Course       171   173
Wandering Star        140   145
Invictus                 102   110
CurmudgeonII         147   159
Skalawag               157   173
Yippee HiHo(dns)      127   127
Reflection(dns)        185   185

Ratings will also be updated on the Regatta Network site http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html  Please register there if interested in participating in the GBCA Club Handicap class.

PS: I have tried to make the table look good and even after stripping it down to ratings only, it posts much worse than it previews.  I will seek help from the webmaster but since I had said I would post something today, here it is.  

Terry Young

Kevin
"KATANA" finish time 02:41:16 (GPS) Cruising Class, 1983 Hunter 34 sail #373 PHRF cert. 175, please log time. Terry Young.

Kevin Box

Terry,

I will add Katana to the database.  Ratings may change slightly since the mean finish time will probably change.
I'll post an update this evening.

Chris P

Kevin-
So how does this work?.... Do we call or e-mail with our finish times? Over VHF? Is there a sort of "committee boat" that logs times at the finish?
Thanks-
CP

Kevin Box

Be sure and study the Sailing Instructions: http://www.gbca.org/isinst.html  for all the important rules that are common to all classes, like the fact that the course reverses each week.  It?s a good idea to go ahead and print them and keep a copy handy on the boat.  Specifically for the GBCA Club Handicap, remember:

VII. Handicaps
?GBCA Club Handicap: Yachts intending to participate in the GBCA Club Handicap class shall send a Personal Message to Kevin Box via the GBCA Discussion Forum.  The message shall include the yacht?s description and contact information for the skipper.  Participants and current ratings will be posted on the GBCA Discussion Forum. Ratings will be adjusted based on fleet performance after each race.?

VIII. Special Instructions
?The GBCA Club Handicap class flag is bright orange.?

IX. Finishing
?GBCA Club Handicap: The first yacht in the GBCA Club Handicap class to cross the finish line will be the winner of the class and be required to record the next 4 places by recording the boat name and or sail numbers.  The winning yacht shall also record the finish time of the next 4 places.  Each yacht finishing shall record their finish time and report it to the Fleet Captain after the race.?

If the Fleet Captain is not at the party after the race (rare), another ?Official? will be collecting finish places and times, as well as handing out the prizes.  Please send me an e-mail or PM with your finish time as well.  There is no race committee for the Icicle Series, so it?s important that everyone take their own time regardless of finishing place.

Chris P

Duh... Oh yeah. Sorry. Thanks for the clarification.
CP