Yacht Racing Topics to Kick Off the 2010 Season

Started by budster, December 17, 2009, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

I wonder if they will try a wing on an Open 60....
cheers...
Scott

budster

Gerard Coleman has confirmed his presentation tonight at the Club Classic...the second part of Team Racing, an upcoming attraction in the sport of yacht racing, one that sounds like an incredibly exciting extension of your racing skills.

The first session on Team Racing was very enlightening and intriguing. I hope to see you at the Club Classic tonight to welcome and listen to Gerard...

6:00 Bar opens
6:30 Topic begins

Next week, Joe Taylor reveals his experience, tricks, and tips (and I'm sure he'll have a few stories!) in his Topic: The Art of Foredeck...

STuma

anyone think we can get the "Blue Coats" to accept Team Racing in the America's Cup?  NOW, that would make it interesting...

cheers...
Scott

budster

No, but multihulls, team racing, foiling moths, and kite boarding have great promise as Olympic sports...

...and I wonder if there's any point in designing a double or singlehanded, foiling multihull? How much faster would foils allow one to go on a multi? Might be worth it, and maybe not...

Johnny Maudlin had one years ago... a foiling, singlehanded catamaran he named Morris. It was amazingly quick!

budster

Just confirmed with Joe Taylor about his presentation Wednesday on:

"The Art of Foredeck"

His discussion is to include:

• Tools
  • Tips
  • Techniques
  • Communication
  • Teamwork
  • Task Sequence

and of course, he just came back from the Mexorc with the Mojo crew, so we can expect a few new stories to go with the old...
so, come out and listen as Joe Taylor passes on the knowledge gained from his years and years of yacht racing experiences!

This Wednesday, 6:30 pm at the Club Classic.

Limited seating, first come-first seated, Bar opens at 6...

budster

A job well done by Joe 'JT' Taylor at last night's Topics at the Club Classic. Lots of inside info shared and insight into the requirementsw for excellence in yacht racing.

Thanks JT!

Next week, join us to listen to one of the most successful Wednesday Night Racers. Stuart Lindow will be sharing his knowledge and techniques for performing well in the Wednesday Night Sailboat Races. His Topic, "Winning on Clear Lake" will address the winds, geographical shifts, current, courses, and strategies for racing in Clear Lake.

Next Wednesday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day!), Club Classic, 6:30 pm

ChrisK

As a longtime member of the foredeck union, JT did a great job.

I thought it was an excellent idea to bring along the sailbag and show us some of the well worn tools of the trade.

It was reassuring to hear that many of the things JT talked about also took me years to learn the hard way.
The payoff is the foredeck IS the most exciting and physical position on the boat, in my humble opinion.

Only a few things I'd add: 
-On the gear list: a spare pair of sunglasses (helpful when you wipeout, frames break and the lens fall out)
-ALWAYS remember that the foredeck is the eyes and ears of the front of the boat 
There is really no time to stare at seagulls, even far offshore, in sailboat racing. 
A big part of the job is to avoid swapping fiberglass or hitting things that go bump in the night. 
:o
As for the communication aspect (and something you'll find very applicable on Wednesday Nights)
It's good to instate a kind of mentor/buddy system on board for newbies (usually the mast person)
It is easy to forget we speak a funny language to the outsiders of our sport. 

As a newbie, it is much less intimidating to have someone to turn to on the rail and whisper...
"What the heck did he just say? What's going to happen?"
Depending on the boat size, good teams should be able to carry a greenhorn or two and be competitive.

Plus: A 'mentor for the day' will greatly increase the chances that person will take an interest in sailboat racing and return to the sport.

Thanks again JT and Buddy!
Past Commodore, 2010

budster

The foreseeable schedule for Wednesday Night activities:

March 24th  :  Gains around the Race Course - Add new techniques and skills, and eliminate detrimental habits to improve your finishes.  (Buddy Brown)

March 31st  :  Registration, Skipper's Meeting and Kickoff Party for the 2010 Wednesday Night Season.

April 7th      :  Series 1 Race 1 for the Wednesday Night Sailboat Races on Clear Lake!

All March events start at the Club Classic at 6:30 pm with the bar open at 6:00.
The first gun for Series 1 Race 1 is 6:15 pm on the lake.

Hope to see you there!!

budster

Hello Everyone...

Well, the 2010 sailing and racing season has certainly kicked off, and the Topics are over, but before they get too far into the distant past, it's a good time for feedback...

If you attended, did you gain from the experience?
   Would you recommend the Topics to your friends?
   Will you come again next year?
   What would you change?
   ...and please suggest Topics you would be interested in hearing about.

If you did not attend, can you tell us why?
   Too far away?
   Wednesday schedule was already full?
   Topics not of interest?
   Speakers not of interest?
   Not aware of the series?

Some of the feedback already received suggests:
   1) At times, the subject matter was more advanced than was usable by beginning sailors. Please create a session(s) to communicate the basics.
   2) Please have some marine industry representatives speak on their products or services. (bottom paint, engines, electrical systems, canvas and sails, etc.)

Of course, you don't have to answer all the questions above. Just give us your thoughts. Your input is important to us...

Burns

Great job overall Buddy, I agree with the observations already made.  If I missed one or two it was only due to other commitments.