phrfgb.com is now on line

Started by Burns, February 03, 2010, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

I did a search on Dolphin and the J30 came up.  I tried Big D and that, as you said, produced nothing.  You might try just using the owner's name and nothing else.  That worked for me just fine.

Quest

Wow, I think the new search functionality is a great idea and seems to be working well.  I'm not trying to fault anyone here as I've built a few B2C eCommerce sites and I know these can be a B*$(# to build.  So as long as the developer understands I'm just trying to offer constructive ideas based on my experience. 

First, what about changing the preloaded drop down boxes to simple input fields.  This would allow for faster page loading and more importantly people wouldn't have to scroll down through all of the older boats looking for the one they wanted.

Second, how about changing the SQL operator for all of the criteria to Like statements and automatically append the '%' to both sides of each imput value so that the search becomes a 'contains' search.  For users that allows them to put in a J- and get all the J Boats or a C&C and get all the C&C boats.

Just my $.02.  Even without the changes, it's still a much improved search from the old system and I applaud the effort.  Plus I like that the NSF is now being shown on the results page.  Makes it easier to see what various boats would be if they decided to race N/S.

tbroadhead

We welcome all input. Thats why we are here!

First, what about changing the preloaded drop down boxes to simple input fields.   

We can do this and we would have to use the "Like" to get enough data in the results.  Will consider.

Second, how about changing the SQL operator for all of the criteria to Like statements and automatically append the '%' to both sides of each imput value so that the search becomes a 'contains' search. 

It would offer more flexability in the searches but on the other hand, there will be more data sometimes than is desired.

Our plan is to get all the rated boats in the search database first and then expand the search ability as our users begin to discover the new approach.

Thanks and feel free to call or email Me or Stuart to discuss.

Bee

I would like to at least see the name list sorted on last name rather than first.

Quest

Tim, I agree that changing the search fields to input with a like and using the wildcards (use them on both sides of the value) could produce more results, but if you're looking for a Beneteau 33.7 for instance and you're like me, you probably can't spell Beneteau right and the two 33.7s are rated differently with different model names (Which probably isn't accurate from the manufactures point of view, but I understand from a rating standpoint if the boats are different), and if you didn't know it you could miss the one you want.  However with the 'contains' search you could enter 33.7 and get the ones you are looking for.   

Anyway just a usability idea.

Bee, it appears (based on looking at the SQL code they are running on the back end query) that names are entered into one field called Mail_Name, and they didn't break out first name and last name into different fields in the database.  Therefore it's not going to be easy to sort on last name vs first name.  It could be done if you make the assumption that only two name with only one space are being used (to seperate first and last name).  I would prefer to see a group of radio buttons on the search page that allows you to change the sort critera before you press 'search'.  That way you could sort on rating, boat name, owner name, Loa, etc....  Another group of buttons could be added to allow you to sort ascending or decending.

Still a lot better than the old site.