GBPHRF question

Started by Jonsey, February 10, 2010, 06:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonsey

I have a GB PHRF cert for my viper 640..   when other 640's come down to race do they have to get their own certificates?   I understood they could just piggy-back off mine but want to confirm.

Thanks in advance

BJSailor

Jonsey,  it's my understanding that if you and a mess of V640s want to race as a one-design class that there is no need for a PHRFGB cert.  But, if you're racing PHRF, it's a must-have for each and every boat.  You can't piggy-back.  Believe me, I've been through this before for years as a J/24 sailor. 
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Jonsey

Thanks BJ, i suppose they want to make sure all the boats are in OD order when racing PHRF.   I think all but one older Texas boat has been upgraded with the larger bulb and carbon mast - the other being American Beauty (we wont get into that).. so all should be good. 

It sounds like the groups interested in making it down to a few GB events this year.  Has anything been planned to replace the NOOD?

budster

HYC has added a "One Design Regatta" in September to replace the NOOD.

ChrisK

I would like to (hopefully) clarify this a little:

It is my understanding from Jack Yoes over at HYC that they're going to have a strictly one design event to go along with the J24 Fall Circuit stop they will be hosting the same weekend (September 25-26)

By "strictly one design" I'm assuming that would be J22, J80, Flying Scott, Ensign and the like....
As far as I know at this point in time, the event would not have boats racing 'scratch' in a similar PHRF rating band, like a NOOD style event. 

There was also some mention of keeping the event to boats around 30 feet-ish and under.  No specific length, reason or any other details were given.   

September is a ways off, HYC has some time to do figure out what they want to do.

To accurately answer the question: there will be a J24 circuit event and some other one design racing going on at HYC the weekend of September 25th and 26th. 
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Hmm.  OD at less than 30 feet.  I guess that leaves us 35 footers out.  Sounds like we are really decompressing here.  I guess I understand that.  With the probably water depths up by HYC excluding deeper keels makes sense.

Jonsey

Chris, thanks for the clarification.

Bee - dont worry, we'll make sure and get you ride on a vipe that weekend.  Might motivate you to get ta' work on that I550! 

Bee

Oh man, I can seem Bee on a Vipe.  Fat Old Phart dripping wet with insufficient beer to keep him happy.  You can't carry a case of beer on a Vipe can you?

Jonsey

This past weekend during a series race @ AYC we consumed well over a case of beer.    Plenty of storage and the empties make good warning to the crew that a tack is in progress, if their not paying attention.

It's drier than a J22, believe it or not.  Besides, if it's windy enough to get you wet I promise - you'll be going so fast you wont care.  It's a matter of going through the water VS over it ;-)

DollFin

There's ALWAYS room for beer! :)

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

STuma

Quote from: Jonsey on February 15, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
Chris, thanks for the clarification.

Bee - dont worry, we'll make sure and get you ride on a vipe that weekend.  Might motivate you to get ta' work on that I550! 

ME, ME... PICK ME... OVER HERE!!!!
cheers...
Scott