2010 Lakefest Regatta

Started by Jonsey, February 17, 2010, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonsey

I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this great event a friend of mine is putting on in April.  Ten years ago this was one of the premier regattas in the South - now, under new management it's coming back!  These dudes are working hard to attract boats..  they have even agreed to form a 20' sporty fleet (see below recent press release).    

Good range of boats - lot's of J's including 80s and 105's.  

http://texomalakefest.com/about-lakefest.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: J.D. Hill
Texoma Sailing Club
jdhill@rejex.com
TEXOMA LAKEFEST REGATTA ANNOUNCES FORMATION
OF 20-FOOT SPORT BOAT FLEET
Denison, TX (February 17, 2010) ? The Texoma Lakefest Foundation and the Texoma
Sailing Club are pleased to announce the formation of a twenty-foot sport boat fleet for
this year?s Lakefest Regatta to be held April 16-18, 2010. This fleet is being formed to
encourage boats from the fastest-growing segment of sailing to participate in the region?s
premier sailing event.
Classes expected to participate include the i550, Laser SB3, Melges 20, Open 5.7, Rocket
22, Ultimate 20 and Viper 640.
All boats are required to sail in their one-design configuration. Appropriate handicaps
will be assigned, and all boats will participate as a single fleet. If one participating design
has five or more entries, they will be scored as a one-design fleet in addition to being
scored in the overall mixed-fleet results.
A complimentary happy hour with live band will be provided for sailors, sponsors and
media each afternoon at the Texoma Sailing Club clubhouse. The sailing club will host a
sailors? reception and party Friday evening (April 16) featuring That Second Shift Band.
Lakefest?s legendary Shipwrecked Ball happens Saturday night (April 17) and will feature
barbeque catered by Risky?s BBQ of Fort Worth along with an indoor sand dance beach
and music by the Island Boogie Steel Drum Band.
Begun nearly a quarter century ago as the Easter Regatta, Lakefest was the first charity
regatta in the United States. Today, it has grown to become one of that nation?s premiere
sailing events and is still recognized as the largest inland charity regatta in the U.S.
Since its inception, Lakefest has raised more than $2 million in support of various
children?s charities in North Texas. This year?s beneficiary, the Make-A-Wish Foundation?
of North Texas, grants wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions, in
order to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. The Texoma Lakefest
Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt not-for-profit corporation.
Registration for the event is now open. More information can be found online at
TexomaLakefest.com

Jonsey

For anyone not goign off-shore this weekend there are a couple of boats that may need crew in Texoma this weekend (Ben 42.7 and J105)

Email me if you would like to hitch a ride.

viper640tx at gmail dot com