Spring Regatta NOR April 10th and 11th

Started by Leigh Ann, March 24, 2010, 05:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George E Cushing

What is the format going to be for non-spin?
George
Dolcetto

Bee

WOW. 

Have we really lost so many racers?  Just 19 for the Spring?  Was happy to see Zippy show up but that's just four of us 105's.  Where are the Level 70's?  Should be more than just one 109.  In fact, should be enough for a class.  What happened to Non-Spin?  Used to be a lot of those.  What do we have to do to get everyone out?

I can't drink that much rum.  Beer yes.  Rum no.  Its my German background.

Not happy.

DollFin

I promise, we both showered this month!

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444

George E Cushing

It is hard to know if the non-spin fleet is not interested. or if it is being killed off by the club's officers decision not to offer W/L racing for non-spin. At a minimum I would appreciate a clear statement in advance indicating if W/L is being offered for non-spin. I was reluctant to sign up not knowing if I was going to be racing W/L or fixed marks. The logic of not having W/L racing for non-spin is a head scratcher for me. The W/L non-spin class offers variety to the regular diet of fixed mark racing, and for some a learning ground on the way to spinnaker sailing. I would like to see W/L non-spin offered in all of the Regattas. If you don't have enough entries for a class, as is the case for this race, then we will sit on the dock until everyone wants to race.
George
Dolcetto

Jonsey

I wouldnt' read too much into the low turn-out.  Spring's a busy time for anyone with a family - baseball, soccer etc..etc.   Add the fact that just two weeks ago there was another major regatta on the bay.   

To that point, there does seem to be (between the three major clubs) a lot of major regattas and for the most part it's the same boats out racing.   When we were trying to put together our class regatta series this year the concensus was to limit the number of events to (3) and spread them out.

It would be nice to see more boats travel to other neat venues around the state - and in turn get more boats to travel to Galveston Bay, mix it up a bit.   Lakefest, AYC Gov. Cup, Wurstfest, FWBC Annual or Old Man are all really neat regattas.   On the bay the viper fleet is going to hit the Shoe regatta - and we'll be at Texas Race Week  and harvest moon with the big boat..   

ChrisK

George: By no means is windward leeward non-spin racing being 'killed off' What you are seeing is more a function of dwindling participation, which all the clubs have been suffering with, even before we got it in the shorts from Ike.

The argument using windward/leeward non-spin as a stepping stone to spin racing is certainly a valid one.  Of course we encourage moving up.

Interestingly the totally unofficial opinion poll on non-spin fixed vs w/l shows a 50/50 split. 
Not just the poll, but we hear similar feedback in conversation with the nonspin racers.

Polls and conversation aside, out on the water, the biggest non-spin turnout is Conundrum, Icicle, Rum Races, Bay Cups. Fixed mark races.

Bottom line is this: R/C has options on the table, and can run either 

RC promises to keep it interesting and challenging
Past Commodore, 2010

George E Cushing

Chris,
The R/C should be clear on what they are offering in advance of the event if the goal is to encourage participation. We had enough participants for a class in all of the W/L events last year, post Ike.
George

marc

I haven't read the NOR, but from a race management perspective it should be spelled out in there what type of racing is expected. If it's not, George makes a very valid point.

Leigh Ann

R/C will have options to run either W/L or fixed marks depending on the wind conditions. Our main goal is to have you race and not sit out on your boats and not race. For example, during the frostbite we sent the spin boats on a fixed mark course due to major windshifts, lack of time, alot of wind and no wind (basically not so friendly R/C conditions), so they would at least be able to race. I feel this weekend, the courses will be windward/leeward, but I want to keep my options open. The courses will be described in the Sailing Instructions that will be available at the skippers meeting on April 9th.

Hope to see you out there!

Leigh Ann

MaryM

I agree Jeff - I don't think the turnout is due to any RC conspiracy!  Entry is down in all classes compared to last year's races.

George - it's going to be a beautiful weekend.  Even though you are not racing, grab your crew and go put the kite up for some fun downwind practice.  I bet it won't be long before you guys are comfortable enough to go spinnaker!

George E Cushing

"I feel this weekend, the courses will be windward/leeward, but I want to keep my options open." I am glad to hear this.

It is not in the NOR and it should be. I would like to know ahead of time that the intent is to offer W/L. If it does not materialize, for whatever reason, I am fine with that.
Cheers,

George

STuma

Jeff, you have hit it on the head again... I have seen/heard that a lot of people are having to work more and their schedules are not as flexible... if one of the family has to work, the other has to run the kids to the activities... It is tough times...

But, with that said, I think it needs to be determined which fleet will be racing which courses (... Personally, Spring Series (Regatta now) should be fixed marks with long courses... facilitating r/c is much easier and the number of volunteers is greatly reduced... We need all the people racing that we can get... I am interested to hear from people why we can get more on TGIS races? Is it the format? the timing? the lack of postponments (sorry, I had to put that one)?  I am glad to see there are more of these races this year...

The GBCA race committee has been doing a superb job and I look forward to this weekend...  If we want the fleets to start growing, we might have to help out our fellow racers with some domestic duties to help get them out on the water... Everyone that is registered, call the other boats in the fleet and see what they have going on and see if we can get them out..

cheers..
Scott
cheers...
Scott

BJSailor

I think you have a valid point that the possible courses should be part of the NOR.  After all, the purpose of the Notice Race is to act as the "invitation" for competitors and to provide them with information so they can make an informed decision whether to race or not.  We'll pay closer attention to this in the future.

At this point, I think everyone now has the picture of what to expect.  The RC will be prepared to run either Windward / Leeward or Fixed Mark courses depending on the competitors, conditions, and time in order to provide the best possible event for the largest number of competitors.  Keep in mind that the Race Committee is not only made up of certified (or is it certifiable...) individuals, but they are also a group of highly experienced sailboat racers with literally thousands of hours and miles under their collective belts.  This isn't their first rodeo.  They'll run the right races for the classes.

Sorry we won't see you this weekend.  I'll echo Mary's comment and look for you and your crew out on this beautiful weekend practicing some sets, gybes, and douses with you chute.  You'll be hard pressed to find better conditions to proactice!

Quote from: GCushing on April 08, 2010, 03:46:53 PM
"I feel this weekend, the courses will be windward/leeward, but I want to keep my options open." I am glad to hear this.

It is not in the NOR and it should be. I would like to know ahead of time that the intent is to offer W/L. If it does not materialize, for whatever reason, I am fine with that.
Cheers,

George

There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

STuma

Quote from: GCushing on April 07, 2010, 11:39:37 PM
It is hard to know if the non-spin fleet is not interested. or if it is being killed off by the club's officers decision not to offer W/L racing for non-spin. At a minimum I would appreciate a clear statement in advance indicating if W/L is being offered for non-spin. I was reluctant to sign up not knowing if I was going to be racing W/L or fixed marks. The logic of not having W/L racing for non-spin is a head scratcher for me. The W/L non-spin class offers variety to the regular diet of fixed mark racing, and for some a learning ground on the way to spinnaker sailing. I would like to see W/L non-spin offered in all of the Regattas. If you don't have enough entries for a class, as is the case for this race, then we will sit on the dock until everyone wants to race.
George
Dolcetto

So George, are you saying that if the course is not a W/L, the non-spin fleet will not sail? 

If there are not enough entries for a class, I am sure ya'lls talents could be utilized on other boats on even on the R/C boat...

cheers.
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Kevin Box

Wow.  The non-spin fleet is ?being killed off by the club's officers (sic) decision not to offer W/L racing for non-spin.?  Man, that?s a little harsh.

For the last couple of years there have been a very few perennial non-spin kings that are serious competitors like Sabani, Big D and Dolcetto.  Others came in and out that fall into two categories:

1.   Normal PHRF boats that go non-spin once or twice because they?re short on crew or are ramping-up a new program and have since moved on to PHRF-B.  The latter is a good thing since the PHRF-B field has been pretty weak lately. 

2.   Newer, more cruiser type competitors that soon find out that they can?t hope for a place better than 4th.  This is the main reason behind trying the GBCA Club Handicap system.  We want to provide a place for everybody to play and have fun. 

A few of each of 1 and 2 above helped to make NS classes last year and have since moved on.  It?s just as hard to feed new blood to serious NS competition as it is to feed PHRF-B.  It seems like a zero-sum game at times.

I?ve personally heard many comments lamenting the fact that GBCA doesn?t have more triangle/distance races like ?the good ?ol days?.  I know from experience how painful it can be going wing-on-wing in a W/L race on a hot, light-air summer day, so I can sympathize with those comments as well.

I?d love to see PHRF and NS classes A, B and (how about) C, filled-up with competitors.  GBCA constantly tries new things to bring more boats out and encourage competition: New Racer Seminar, GBCA Club Handicap, PHRF-GB Regatta (new this year).

I can assure you that the GBCA Board listens to all the input it can get and does its best to accommodate everyone that has an interest in the sport.  GBCA is like the ?open source? version of a yacht club, being more accessible than any I know.  Come race, help with RC and/or event planning or simply vent your spleen on this exciting discussion page.  Everyone so inclined gets to help shape our destiny.  It?s all good.

Since 1947.